chapter twenty eight - lynn

Whilst reading this chapter you need to listen to 'Pink Slips' by Jenna Doe. The song fits Lynn and Maddie PERFECTLY!

It was Wednesday morning and Maddie was stood at her locker putting away her sports gear. She had had softball try outs early this morning so was relatively early for once. As she shoved her last few things into the locker, Maddie felt someone approach her. She closed the slightly rusty locker with a clunk and turned around stopping in her tracks. Lynn was leaning against the locker besides her in ripped jeans and an over sized hoodie.
"Mor-morning" Maddie blurted our awkwardly.
"I heard it was your birthday on Sunday."
"Um yeah. How did you know?"
"I have my ways." Lynn smirked "If I had known earlier I would've got you something."
Maddie looked a bit shocked "oh umm but we barely know each other"
"Yeah I know" she smirked.
What the hell did that mean? Just an "I know?" And then a smirk!? Whatever, Lynn knew when her birthday was! She had just said that she would have gotten her something! What the hell! Ahhhhhh!
"I see you're hanging out with Brooklyn and her gang." Maddie's attention was turned back to Lynn. She noticed who she sat with?
"Yeah....I guess they were the first people to speak to me and they're alright I suppose"
"What about me?"
"What about you?"
"I spoke to your pretty early"
Was Lynn jealous?
Maddie gently budged Lynn with her shoulder. "Yeah well maybe I couldn't find you at recess! And you were already hanging out with people!"
Lynn rolled her eyes but smiled.
She was the type of person to have quite blunt replies but Maddie didn't mind. She'd sit with Lynn silently in a room for hours and not get bored.
"You could've still come and found me. I would have saved you from the scary straights."
Maddie's head whipped round. What did she just say? Did-did she know?!
"Wha-what did you just say"
"Nothing" And with that, Lynn just winked and walked away down the hallway. "See you later Johansson"

About a million questions were whizzing through Maddie's head right now. Was Lynn jealous? How did she know her birthday? Did Lynn like like her? Like, like like her? Did Lynn know that she was gay? So many questions were swirling through her head but were cut short when the bell rung.
Shit, the one day she was actually early she'd be late to first period.

The rest of the day went by pretty slowly. Maths. History and them finally lunch.
Confused by their encounter at the beginning of the day, Maddie didn't immediately go and sit with Lynn. Instead she still sat with Brooklyn. Everyday she told herself that tomorrow she'd sit with someone else but tomorrow came and Maddie still sat with the bitchiest group in the grade. However, even though she wasn't sitting with Lynn, they kept catching each other's eyes from across the cafeteria and smirking at each other. Maddie would look up and see Lynn staring at her and vice versa. They were mesmerised by each other yet neither one noticed.
Looking at her timetable, Maddie noticed she had science last (ugh again) But! That did mean she'd be spending time with Olive and James! Who....were friends with Lynn! Maybe she could get her number at least?

Once lunch had finished Maddie headed to science where she sat for a boring hour doing some photosynthesis rubbish. When was she going to need this in her life?! Maddie did try to listen though because this is what the class were doing their group projects on. Thinking about it, her group hadn't even started yet. Oop. It seemed like Olive and James were thinking the same thing though because at the end of the lesson they rushed over and started to panick.
"Maddie you need to come round to mine today to do science..we haven't even started it yet...please come to mine..or mine idm!"
Maddie slowed them both down and laughed "Woah. I did not hear any of that. Slow down. We have a few days to complete it it'll be fine!"
"We still need to do some tonight!"
"Yeah good idea...um do you wanna come round to mine?" No one had come round yet but Maddie was sure that Scarlett would be ok with it. These two seemed fine. Very chaotic but very nice. And they weren't just using Maddie either.
"I mean if that's ok with you?" Olive asked.
"It will be fine dont worry. Let me just call my mum"

Once the three were outside the building Maddie called Scarlett.
"Hey mum. Is it alright if two of my friends come round to work on some science tonight?"
"Are they the horrible ones?"
"Omg mum you can't say that! But no they're not don't worry. The pair are a bit chaotic but lovely. I think you'll like them"
"Then of course honey I'll see you soon"
"Bye. See you later"

Maddie walked back over to where Olive and James were standing. Oh and now Lynn.
"Hey Lynn." She waved at the pink haired girl and them turned to the other two. "My mum said it was okay"
"Ahhh yayyy!" James celebrated.
"Omg calm down mate. We're just doing science." Olive laughed.
"Yeah well now we can officially say Maddie's in our group because we've been to her house!" James replied.
Lynn raised her eyebrows and smirked at Maddie. "That is if you want to"
"Oh yeah of course. We don't want to force you to joint our group or anything just Lynn said you hated your-" James said before quickly getting cut of by Lynn.
"Shut up" she hissed.
Maddie looked between them confused but brushed it away. "Oh yeah that would be great! What like sit with you at lunch and stuff?"
"Yeah if that's good" Olive replied.
"Yes that's great! I was starting to get sick of Brooklyn and those lot"
"Goody! Now come on! The bus is leaving in a minute"
Olive and James rushed to the bus but Lynn and Maddie stood rooted to the spot.

"Seems like I am hanging out with the person I spoke to first now"
"Oh shush" Lynn said and put an arm round Maddie's shoulder.
"Come on love birds!" James shouted from the bus
Maddie and Lynn both rolled their eyes but hastily walked over to the bus.

Let the chaos begin.