chapter thirteen - the storm

The minute the plane touched down, Scarlett was on the phone. To begin with she called her manager who was still back in LA. Next she called Maddie. Once. Twice. Three times and she didn't pick up. She knew she was very very late but she was starting to worry. Why wasn't Maddie picking up the phone?
It had been a hot day in LA as Scarlett was packing her bag. The plane was set to fly at midday and at the moment it was about 9:30am. Scarlett had always been a organised person. Last night she had layed everything out to be packed the next morning, meaning she wouldn't need to rush. She had also always been quite calm but for some reason her stomach was filled with butterflies. Flying wasn't the problem. And neither was the airport. It was the fact that she'd be fostering Maddie today! Thinking of having another daughter made her feel so joyful and emotional.
She checked the time. 10am. The car would be here any moment now and she'd be off to nyc! "Beep beep". Scarlett quickly grabbed her bag and ran outside. Knowing she was only going to be gone for about 16 hours she didn't bother too much about security. Obviously she locked the door and gate and set the security cameras, but it wasn't like she was heading to nyc for a month or so.
Running outside Scarlett felt a gentle patter of rain hit her back. It gradually got harder and harder as she climbed into the car. It never rained in LA! I mean... lucky she was leaving it behind. She glanced up at the sky and noticed it was getting darker and darker. The rain getting harder and harder; making it harder to see more than a few cars in front.

After a stressful car ride, Scarlett finally reached the airport. Her nerves were running high as she jumped out the car, dragging her bag behind her and rushing into the airport. She couldn't see any security for her but she also couldn't see any paparazzi. So she ran to the private gates for the reserved jets. Her sunglasses were slightly steaming up and her beanie was falling down but she didn't care. She had to see if her jet was still going to be flying. She reached the desk but there was no one there. Shit.
Turning around for any help she glimpsed her security guard.Thank god. Although she thought she could do it on her own, she knew she couldn't. For goodness sake she was struggling with finding someone at the front gate! What would she be like trying to organise a plane and pilot to fly through this mental weather! He quickly walked over to Scarlett and hurried her into a private lounge.
"Scarlett I'm really sorry but the jets cancelled. The weathers too bad to fly"
"But you don't understand. I need to get to nyc!"
"I know that. I really do and we're trying to get everything sorted out but the best thing we can do right now is wait for the weather to pass"
Scarlett knew she couldn't do anything about it so she didn't get too angry. However she did keep checking the weather forecast and trying to hassle some poor pilot to fly them to New York. After about four hours she gave up and spent the next few hours reading and sleeping. She hadn't even experienced the time zones yet and she was already exhausted just from running around the airport! Luckily she was in a private lounge area for vip meaning no paparazzi. She mentally could not face them today.
The biggest mistake Scarlett made that day was not calling Maddie. Knowing she was in school there was no point in calling because she knew she wouldn't answer but she could have done it later. Scarlett didn't know why but the idea had completed slipped her mind. 'Great parenting ScarJo' she thought to herself. You can't even let your kid know that you're going to be a day late. And by the time she realised 'shit Maddie doesn't know we're late' she was already thousands of feet in the air.

Heyyyy.
I hope this chapter clears a few things up. :)
I'd never let Scarlett abandon Maddie but I had to add a lil bit of spice in there lmao.
Hope you enjoy! In the next chapter they're going to finally reunite and things can get more chill and more people will be introduced as the book goes on :)
M xox