chapter ten - phone call

The next few weeks had passed quite quickly. Maddie went back to school and her life was pretty much back to normal. She occasionally exchanged texts with Lizzie but not often with Scarlett. Maddie understood she was busy and all, however she felt a little bit let down. Obviously she knew things wouldn't stay the same between them, but Maddie had kind of hoped for maybe at least a month or two they had kept better in touch. However, little did she know the next time she spoke to Scarlett would change her life.

Maddie had been at high school for two weeks now and it was hell. She didn't have any friends here, as her one friend Lou had to move upstate for their parents jobs. She had tried going into it optimistically. Maybe thinking that the older girls at the foster house would look out for her? But as the weeks went on, the work became worse, the bullying started and more and more people started forming friend groups. Leaving her on her own in the corner of the cafeteria.

It had been a breezy day in New York and Maddie had already had enough. Her spirits where down. The weather was grim and she dreaded going back to Ms Roberts and explaining why she had gotten in trouble again. She dragged her feet along the pavement finally reaching the building. She slowly climbed the stairs (not trusting the dodgy lift) and reached for the door handle. It was almost as if as the minutes she touched the door handle it triggered her phone to go off. Jumping back she reached for the ringing phone in her bag. Slightly humiliated by the avengers ringtone. She quickly answered before bothering to look at the name.
"Hello?"
"Hey Maddie it's me. Scarlett"
Maddie immediately felt a wave of relief wash over her. She felt safe even just taking to Scarlett. Trying not to sound too panicked she responded,
"Awh hey! How are you?"
"I'm very well thank you honey but I've got an important question to ask you"
That was one thing Maddie loved about Scarlett. Her ability to cut to the crap in a polite way.
"Oh umm is it bad?"
"No not at all! Don't worry. It's really not a conversation I'd like to have over the phone though but it'll have to do as I'm stuck in LA at the moment" Maddie could hear the eye role through the phone. "Now please tell me if this is too quick or direct but I was wondering if you would be comfortable for me to maybe start fostering you?"

Maddie nearly fainted.
She didn't know how to respond.
What was she supposed to say?!
She would love to!
But how can she say that without sounding clingy?

"Hello. Maddie... are you still there?"
"Yes I'm still here."
"Please tell me if this is too much. And don't feel like you need to respond immediately. Also feel free to say no. I won't take it personally"
Maddie paused not knowing how to respond.
"Here's the thing. I would absolutely ADORE to be fostered by you. It would be a dream come true but how would it work?"
"What do you mean. The foster process?"
"No. Sorry I mean you and your job. How would there be time for me? Not wanting to sound attention seeking or self absorbed here but I wouldn't want to be a burden in anyway"
"Maddie we've talked about this multiple times before! You are not a burden in anyway shape or form! I'm offering this!"
Maddie giggled.
"I mean I wouldn't want to turn this offer down......soooo....I think I'm going to say yes?"
"Ahhh yay! This makes me so so so happy! Please understand that this isn't me being good for press or any of that bullshit as well. This is purely because when we first met I was really touched by your presence and I just couldn't stop thinking about you, and you and Rose and just you fitting into the family so perfectly."
Maddie was almost brought to tears by these words.
"I've just got my manager to send a formal foster email to Ms Roberts confirming it and I'm really hoping that I can see you soon!"
"Thank you so so much. This is literally my dream. I loved spending time with you and Rose and I am so grateful for you being so nice and caring. And yes. I hope to see you soon too!"
"Awww thank you. Okay I'm going to go now as Rose is about to go to her fathers. Loosing one child and gaining another am i right?"
They both giggled at this remark but Maddie could feel her heart swell with love and joy.
"I will see you soon thank you"
"Ok bye"
"Bye bye"

Maddie could not believe what had just happened. Wtf. This was the best thing to happen to her EVER.
She regathered her thoughts before stepping inside and the first thing she heard was,
"Maddie!Get your shit together you're getting fostered! At last, someone else that gets to hear your crappy shit. Thank the lord."
And Scarlett wondered where she got her insecurities from. She'd be out of this hell hole soon.

Hope you enjoy this chapter!
It's a little bit longer than the rest and it's obviously quite an important one. Also fyi I'm not specialised in the foster care area in any way. So for the majority of it I'm going to be doing mini time jumps over the nitty gritty stuff just purely because I don't know what happens and I don't want to offend anyone by writing incorrect stuff :)
Hope you enjoyed this chapter!
M xox