Chapter 10

Chapter 10

"I've missed you my dear, how have you been?" my grandfather asked

"Tired! That journey was so boring" we both laughed hand in hand

"Well for someone who has been travelling all day looks very well indeed. You look so pretty when you smile, just like Dorothy was"

Dorothy was my grandmother who died 15 years ago. It was sad because I always knew my Granddad 'love' my grandmother with all his heart and she him. Their love story was like a fairy tale; local family girl meets the local prince and falls in love at first sight.

That's something I never used to understand about love, how can it be love at first sight when you don't even know that person? My grandfather told him that, it's not something you can explain.

he said 'when you see that one person you just know that your meant to spend the rest of your life with her, that you couldn't think of ever being apart from them ever again and you wonder how you managed to live so far without them.

"You just suddenly feel like your world has turned upside down, that you and your life well never be the same again"

I used to love hearing stories about him and my grandmother.

When she died so did a part of him. A large part

I remember he never laughed, never smiled and never spoke to anyone.

Not until Maggie came along.

She was a widow just like Granddad.

And much younger than him, well eleven years apart but I guess at that age its different.

But she loved my Granddad and he loved her.

He always used to say that I looked like Grandmother Dorothy. She had bright fire red hair and was short just like me, with green eyes. The only difference was that she was beautiful and loved by everybody.

Everyone loved Maggie as well and she was beautiful at seventy-three. She had no family when she married Granddad so we were her only family. So I took her in as my new grandmother and loved her as much as I did Grandmother Dorothy.

"Where's Nan?" I said holding tightly on to my Granddads arms.

"She's bossing the staff around I expect" he replies which made me laugh.

"But you love her for it" I said.

"That I do" he smiled "Less about me how am you my dear. I only got your message this morning. You know what I'm like with this... gadgets"

"It's called a phone Granddad and don't worry about it"

"So how did it go?" he asked

"It was... eventful" I could see the look on my Granddads face, the look that said "you can't fool me" with his half smile. "It went better than I thought. They didn't kick me out and it was very... civil"

"Civil?"

"Well it had to be Chr... Mr Howard was there"

"Mr Howard? Chris Howard? What was he doing there?"

"He said he had some business was Dad and he is dating Jess I guess it's now normal for him to be at family dinners. More normal than me"

"Yes I had heard that. How do you feel about that" my Granddad asked.

What did he know?

He couldn't know how I felt about Chris. I haven't told anyone about being in love with him.