14. Fight For Us

Cordelia

Cordelia

Another week gone and no word from Mattheo. The lessons we shared, he didn't show. He still hung out with most of the guys but as soon as I came into the room, he would find somewhere else to be. He was avoiding me and it hurt. I missed him. I missed us.

It was late one evening, the December weather was becoming frequent. The air was cold and the snow was falling heavy, dressing the ground with a large crisp garment. I was walking by myself around the castle when I overhead some voices coming from around the corner.

"It's nowhere near ready," I heard one of the voices whisper.

"What do you mean its not ready?" I heard the other say. My heart took an uncomfortable leap before plunging back down. It was Mattheo.

"It doesn't work," the first voice said again. Draco.

"Shit," Mattheo cursed. "He said by Christmas. We have 2 weeks left of school."

"Don't you think I know that," Draco scorned.

"Drop the fucking attitude Malfoy," Mattheo warned. He sighed, I assumed he was thinking of a solution. "We'll try it again, with the birds and if that doesn't work then- then I'll have to talk to him."

"He's not going to listen" Malfoy sulked.

"I'll make him listen" Mattheo said. His voice vicious and thrilling.

"Fine" Malfoy agreed. I heard footsteps begin to recede but only one pair. Carefully, I peered around the corner and there he was, Mattheo. His head resting against the wall, his hands on either side. His eyes were closed and I could tell he was anxious.

He opened his eyes, stepping back from the wall. "You shouldn't be here," I heard him say. He had acknowledged that I was there but hadn't dared to look at me. I stepped towards him and he slowly looked up. Our eyes locked for the first time in weeks and my heart tugged at my chest that bit more.

"You haven't spoken to me in weeks," I whispered. My eyes went like glass, glossy and reflective of the little light in the corridor.

"I know," he responded, looking away from me.

"We need to talk, Mattheo," I said.

"I know" he repeated. We remained silent for a few more seconds before he finally looked back to me. His eyes too beginning to glaze. "Shit" he whispered under his breath, "I urm- I don't know what to say".

"It's not often that Mattheo Riddle is lost for words." A smile haunted my lips slightly but he didn't smile back. I saw a tear escape and run down his cheek. Seeing him hurt like this was one of the most excruciating pains I could endure.

"Cord I-" he began again, "This is probably the hardest thing for me to say."

"What do you mean?" I asked, my brows furrowed with confusion.