Chapter 8 - Lost and Found

The next day before lunch, Mr. Lim greeted everyone in the classroom. Everyone wondered what happened, but Mr. Lim's solemn expression tells them that it was something bad.

"Class, I believe that you guys aren't in kindergarten anymore and that we all know it is incredibly frowned upon to steal from others. The reason I say this is just one day after I brought out my magazine, someone took it from my desk." Mr. Lim paused for a breath. "So, if you took the magazine, please return it to me within 3 days."

"Maybe Taeyoon took it! Maybe she can't wait to win that contest and wanted the poster!" A student spoke out.

"Have you forgotten what I and Mrs. Oum said about accusing people without evidence?"

"...but it's a perfect reason to be suspicious...isn't that why you came to our class first before checking other classes." the student muttered while lowering his head.

"I agree." A couple of other students thought the same. "Has anyone else dared to speak so rudely to you on their first day of school?"

Taeyeon's eyes widened at how fast rumours spread through this school. People even notice how you greet your teacher on your first day. Scary. She thought.

"I don't think Taeyoon would be that careless when she knew she would be the number one suspect." Surprisingly, Jessica spoke out in her favour this time. It also silenced any protests.

Mr. Lim shook his head, but then he thought again. It's a good reason to give Taeyeon a little test to see her potential. "Taeyoon. Three days. Find it. Take it as a test, don't disappoint me." He added and left the classroom.

That had left Taeyeon speechless with her mouth half gaped open.

Taeyeon was rather surprised at the magazine being reported stolen the day right after she and the teacher talked. But she knew she did not do it, so she never worried about people accusing her. She wondered why Jessica spoke up for her.

"Hi Sunny! Hey, Taeyoon." Tiffany greeted them as she approached.

Sunny waved back.

"Hiya!" Taeyeon greeted the eye-smiling girl.

Tiffany looked at her curiously. "You are in a good mood."

"Why wouldn't I be? Because of the missing magazine?"

"Aren't you worried?"

"Why should I be worried? Are you suspecting me as well?" Taeyeon asked.

"No." Tiffany replied immediately, "I am just worried because I think this is suspicious. Who would do such a thing? It's terrible. Who dares to steal from Mr. Lim."?

Taeyeon didn't know what to say. She already has an idea of who took the magazine. Or has it.

Pushing an upsetting topic to the back of her head, Tiffany wanted to ask her about last Friday. "I forgot to ask you yesterday. How was your weekend? Were you sick? Where did you go after school on Friday?"

Taeyeon gave her an odd look.

"My weekend was ok. Why would I be sick? What about Friday?" Taeyeon looked at Tiffany, studying her expression. Then she also realized that Tiffany had been avoiding Jessica since yesterday's lunch. Piecing together her thoughts, she realized. "Ah. You saw, didn't you?" She facepalmed herself. This is embarrassing. She thought.

"Saw what?" Sunny was surprised to hear the news. She is now very curious about what may have happened to her seatmate.

"Nothing." Taeyeon tried to save her face.