Chapter Fifteen: Awake

Clara POV:

"We're not sure how much longer she's going to be asleep."
"She's rapidly improving. She's going to be just fine."
"It's not anybody's fault. It was an accident."
"I'm never letting her sleep in her own bed alone again."
"We're taking out the tube soon."
"Good morning baby."
"She's been asleep for a week and a half! When is she gonna wake up?"
"Daddy has to go back to work today so it's just Mama, Dada, and Papa today."
"The doctors took your tube out and lightened your sleepy meds baby. You're gonna wake up soon."
"Look! She's opening her eyes!"

I hear mamas voice and try and turn my head towards it. It hurts to move my limbs and I let out a whimper. There's loud beeping noises that are hurting my ears.

"That's it wake up for us baby. Mama and daddies are sitting right here. All you have to do is show me those pretty green eyes."

I try harder and eventually open my eyes. Only to be blinded by light.

"Turn the lights down!" I hear Daddy shout. Hurting my ears in the process.

"Go ahead and try to open your eyes again love bug. We turned the lights down." Dada says.

I open my eyes again and see mama and daddies. Along with people in blue shirts and pants.

"Good girl!" Mama smiles.

Except mamas eyes are different. They don't get big like when she normally smiles at me. They look a little sad.

"The doctors gonna take a look at you okay? Can you be my brave big girl?" Papa asks.

If I could reply I would've told them, "No." I don't feel good and wanna go back to sleep. But the doctor is already walking towards me.

The doctor placed a strange thing on my chest and puts something in his ears.

"Her lungs sound a lot better and her heart sounds fantastic." Doctor man says.

Then the doctor opens my mouth and shines a bright light in it.

"Her throat is a little raw from having to intubate her so quickly. But other than that she seems fine."

"Can I hold her? I really want to nurse her." Mama asks.

"We're gonna get rid of one of her IV lines. She doesn't need it anymore. As soon as the nurse does that you guys can hold her." The doctor says.

Soon a lady in pink scrubs with snowflakes comes in as mama rubs my head.

"Hello love. I'm gonna take out that yucky thing in your arm. Can you hold really still for me?" The nurse asks

I just nod my head.

As soon as she starts to remove the tape I start to cry. She didn't tell me it would be owie.

Mama shushes me and tells me I can have milky after the nurse is done. Pretty soon I feel her yank the needle out while I cry loudly.

"Nuuu owie!!" I cry.

My throat hurts, my chest hurts, and now the mean nurse gave me more owie. I wanna go home!

"It's okay princess. You can have some milky now." Mama says while carefully picking me up.

Mama lifts her shirt and her boobies are huge! I poke one and it's hard.

Then I look down at myself. I don't have boobies like mama does. I don't have boobies at all.

I poke mama to get her to focus on me, "why nu bewbie?" I say pointing at my chest.

"Cause you're just a little girl. Little girls don't have boobies yet."

"Wan bewbie wike mama." I say.

"Well, you can have some boobies when you're older. How about that?" Mama asks.

I nod happily and latch on to mama. It hurts my throat to swallow but I don't stop. My tummy is very hungry and mama tastes good.

"Can we hold her after you're done? I just need to hold her." Daddy asks.

"Yea, I'm sorry for hogging her. I just... I can't... it's a mom thing."

"You don't have to explain. We all understand." Papa says.

Soon enough mama lets me switch sides. I play with mamas giant hand while I eat. Getting sleepier as I drink more. The last thing I hear is, "Sleep tight love bug."