Chapter 25 - Cherry Lips

(FYI, "Ma" is a Locary, "Mother" is a Flure. Just so you know. :) I thought maybe it was confusing or whatever... Kind of the same thing with Pa and Father. :) )

        Debbie

        "Well, the French, they were only miles away. In fact we could hear their cannon's firing they were that close," Mother shuddered.

        "Most of the other families had fled farther north, but your mother and I thought that we'd be safe in our own home," Father rubbed Mother's back, "But they came during the night. Thankfully I heard them soon enough, so Mother and I hid in the secret downstairs, -you both know where that is right? Under the rug in the dining room- and we could hear the French going through drawers, breaking things, ruining everything," Father took a deep breath, "We waited down there for who knows how long, and after they were long gone, we came back up. Everything was ruined, they didn't miss a single room, closet or drawer."

        Both Alex and I were horrified. Our only home - destroyed. Well, technically not our only home. 

        "Did any of our neighbors...die?" Alex held his breath.

        "What about Katherine Abbot?" I new Alex was dying to know how she was, only he didn't want to specifically ask about her.

        Ma looked down, "The Abbot family went farther north, but I heard that the French attacked that town; killing everyone, including women and children."

        Alex's face fell.

        It was silent and the only thing audible was the sound of crickets chirping.

        Alex stood up and walked outside.

        "I'll go with him," I scooted my chair out and followed Alex.

        "I'm sorry Alex," I sat down next to him on the porch swing.

        "Why her?" His voice was strained.

        "I don't know," I was horrible at comforting people, and I didn't have the slightest idea how to do it.

        I looked at him and his eyes were filled with tears.

        I hated seeing him so sad. He was usually so cheerful, he was always the one who was always laughing. 

        "Here," I reached over and gave him a side hug.

        "She's gone, just like that," Alex was unresponsive.

        "It'll be okay," I patted his back awkwardly. That line seemed so cliché, but it was the best I could come up with.

        I felt something wet hit my arm and I realized Alex was crying.

        Alex hugged me back and his body was shaking from his silent tears.

<><><><><> 

        Alex had been quiet that week, only speaking when spoken to. Only few people talked to him; most sensed that he wanted his privacy. Even Henry knew not to bother him.

        Speaking of Henry...

        I was in the mews, tending to Hawkeye when it happened.

        "I missed you Hawkeye," I stroked his feathers and for once he didn't squawk.

        "Or did you even notice I was gone for a whole week?" I tapped his beak, "Ungrateful bird."