Chapter 16 - Mauled

(Dedicated to every single reader out there that has read this because of their own free will, and not because I asked them to. :) ) (Also, I had to change the book cover because I realized that the one I was using was copyrighted. *crys* so yeah...)

        Debbie

       I hopped around on one foot, trying to pull the boots on. 

        "It'd be easier if you sat down," Annie finished brushing her hair.

        "That's too logical," I muttered as I sat down.

        "Did Alex give you those pants?" Annie turned around.

        "Many years ago," I chuckled, "If he gave them to me now, they'd be up to my neck."

        "I can imagine," Annie pulled her drawer out and grabbed a pair of old dusty pants, "These are Isaac's from last year, 'cept Ma sewed them up so that they'd fit."

        "My mother had to alter mine a bit too. After all, girls aren't the same as guys. My legs were always shorter than Alex's." 

        "Very plausible," Annie giggled, "Alex is probably six feet six inches."

        "Actually," I started braiding my hair, "He's six feet four inches. He's still very tall."

        "I feel so stubby next to him," Annie slipped her boots on, "It's like standing next to a barn."

        I laughed, "Except he isn't that wide."

        "True," She grinned, "Well, I'll go help Ma with breakfast. Or wait, I think it's Julia's day. In that case I have to go feed the chickens." She left the room.

        "And what do do?" I muttered to myself as I slammed a hat on my head, opened the door to go out and almost ran into Isaac, "Sorry," I muttered and tried to slip past him.

        "Wait," His voice stopped me, "Did you hear Hawkeye last night?"

        I turned around, "No, why?" 

        "I thought I heard him. Maybe I'm wrong, but I was just going to go check on him if you want to come."

        "Sure," I answered slowly, trying to keep my eagerness out of my voice.

        "You don't have to go if you don't want to," He offered.

        "No, I should check up on him," I hurried to assure him, "After all, he might attack you since he doesn't know you very well yet."

        "Unless he's gone," Isaac added carelessly.

        My eyes got wide, "You don't think the robbers took him do you?"

        Isaac's eyes also got wide as he realized his mistake, "Oh no, no, I didn't mean it like that, I was just thinking aloud. Carelessly. I'm sorry." 

        We walked the rest of the way to the mews in silence. What if Hawkeye had been stolen? What would we do? We wouldn't be able to find the outlaws. They might just murder all. I heard nothing as we approached the mews.

        "Moment of truth," I heard Isaac mutter under his breath as he unlatched the door to the mews.

        "Hawkeye?" I poked my head into the mews timidly. I pushed the door all the way and made my way towards where I usually found Hawkeye. 

        He was gone. "He's gone," I stared blankly into the mews, "They took him," The sad realization slowly sunk in.

        "Maybe he's farther back," Isaac suggested.