𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐨𝐯𝐞

You woke up to Markle humming while cleaning your face with a washcloth.

"Well this feels awfully familiar." You said laughing bit.

"Y/n!" Markle launched himself at you. You hugged him tightly and stroked his hair. 

Sophie heard the commotion and rushed to your side.

She told you everything that had happened. How She and the witch flew back here using the ring Howl gave her and how he had gone to distract the mutated wizards and witches who had come after them and to look for you. 

It was now 2 in the morning. Howl hadn't come home yet and the house was quiet. Sophie snored softly on a mattress near your small bed, Markle and hin, the flithy dog of Madame Sulimann's,  slept in his room, the witch was rolled in a ball of blankets on the couch and Calcifer burned low as he rested. 

You stayed awake. The burning pain in your stomach wouldn't allow you sleep. 

The sound of the door creaking open caught you attention. You peeked out of the curtains which formed a small room for your bed. Howl was not yet back to human form and he limped towards the hallway. Inky black pools and feathers were left in his foot prints. 

You followed him down the strange hallway and into a sort of cave. There his large demonic bird form was, huddled into a ball at the end of the cave. You walked to him and stoked his feathers.

"I'm sorry. I should have helped before." You said resting your forehead on his side.

He growled and groaned.

"Let me help you...please." You said backing away slightly.

He growled indistinct words and thrashed around causing you to fall backwards.

"Howl. Let me help." You said standing.

"no" he yelled in a low monstrous voice.

You felt yourself being pulled away. Howl was getting farther and farther away form you. 

"Howl!" You said fighting to get back to him but it was too late. 

You woke up covered in a cold sweat. The water upstairs was running and Sophie was beginning to stir in her sleep.

After two hours everyone was awake. You, Markle, and Turnip head managed to dislodge the small plane which caused even more complaining than before form Calcifer. 

Sophie attempted to clean up the house but it was useless there was too much debris.

As the four of you sat at the dining table exhausted loud footsteps were heard on the stairs and Howl came running into sight.

"Good morning!" He said cheerfully walking to the table " I see you all made it back safely. That's wonderful!" he said smiling. 

"Sophie flew a plane into my face!" Calcifer yelled.

Howl burst out laughing. 

"Did she now?" he said still laughing. 

"Yeah she did!" Markle said happily.

Howl turned to you.

"May I ask how you got back home?" he said looking into your eyes.

"I ran." You said calmly.

"They bled all over the floor again! And used magic in here! The nerve!" Calcifer yelled as though someone had done something truly horrible to him.

Howl laughed again and then knelt down to inspect your torso.

"It's fine. Just re-opened when those little shits at the palace hit me with their pathetic spells." You said leaning back so he could inspect your wound better.