𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕: 𝐀 𝐒𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐥 𝐃𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐫

The next morning Howl had already gone out. Sophie noticed how distracted you were but you had Markl take her down to the market so you could make her a birthday dinner. 

You spent 3 hours cooking her favourites such as , fresh baked bread, salmon, fruit plates, and a strawberry and cream angel food cake for dessert. 

You had finally completed everything and were plating it when the door opened and Sofie and Markl came in.

"Gah! Markl I said 5:30 its only 5:15!" You said 

"AH! I'm sorry Y/n!"

Sophie looked at all the food spread across the table.

"Did you do all of this for me?" She asked walking towards the table.

"Yeah um happy birthday!" You said smiling.

She smiled wider than you had ever seen before.

"Thank you Y/n. This is so wonderful."

Markl rushed to pull a chair out for her.

She thanked him and sat down.

"Will howl be joining us?" She asked hopefully

You froze and tensed up for a second. 

"Um I don't know." You said facing the kitchen.

"Oh ok." Sophie seemed a bit disappointed but also curious. After you had finished plating everything and set the table you lit the candles. You and Markl wished Happy birthday to Sophie and began to eat.

"Oh so you get to feast while I move this damn place everywhere!" Calcifer complained.

You got up and fed him all the compost.

"Mmmmmmmm! More !" He cheered.

"There is no more!" You exclaimed laughing.

After another 30 of minutes of eating and laughing it was time for cake.

You placed a few more strawberries on the top for decoration before turning back to the table. 

You and Markl sang happy birthday to Sophie as you placed the cake on the table.

When you finished the song the front door swung open. Howl burst into the kitchen.

"Am I late?" he asked frantically.

"No you're not c'mon and sit." Sophie said waving and pointing to the seat next to where you were sitting a minutes before. 

He rushed and sat next to you as Sophie blew out the candles on her cake. Markl clapped and reached for one of the strawberries.

"Hey! No, Sophie gets the first slice." You said cutting a piece of the cake and placing it on a small plate.

"Thank you Y/n." 

You smiled at her.

You cut slices for Markl and Howl as well. 

"Aren't you going to have some y/n?" Markl asked 

"Oh I'm ok. I don't need any." You said 

Howl turned to you. He held his fork up to your face and smirked.

"Open up"

"Howl I'm fine I really don't-" It was too late now Howl had taken you speaking as an opportunity to feed you a piece of cake. 

The cake was perfectly cooked. It seemed to melt in your mouth.

"It's good huh?" He said smirking at your shocked face.

"Yeah.." You said.

Sophie and Markl were smiling like they'd just seen a bunch of otters holding hands.

After dinner Sophie had wanted to help clean up but you insisted that her and Markl go to bed. 

Howl went upstairs to take a bath and you were happy for the quiet. Well mostly quiet. Calcifer would complain about how much work he had to every few minutes when it got too quiet for his liking.

You were almost down with the dishes when two strong arms snaked around your waist form behind.

"You've been working too much." Howl said resting his chin one your shoulder.

"Howl..." You said setting the dishes down.

"I know we shouldn't be doing this. " He said letting go of you. He cupped your face with his hand. "But I want too."

He leaned in to kiss you again and you unknowingly leaned in as well.

You pulled away from him.

"what's wrong?" he asked 

"We can't. I can't." You said backing away. This was Howl. The traitor howl. He had betrayed Madame Sulimann, The kingdom, and to extent you.

"I see." He passed you and rushed up the stairs.

You felt tears prick your eyes.

Why. Out of everyone in the world why him.