Chapter Nineteen: Be Mindful of Wolves

Be Mindful of Wolves

Eric, I found Lori but we have company.  

Aiden communicated their exact location as he faced down the grizzled company that made up most of Lord Oren’s clan. The Fenrir Wolf clan was the strongest of all the Were clans. It was also the clan that Meghan, the pretty young maiden Eric had sent off in tears a few weeks prior, belonged to. Aiden didn’t have to be a genius in matters of state to know what brought such men to Wolfgard.

A lean figure dressed all in black astride a black war horse approached through the divide in the men. “Captain McKenna, things at Wolfgard must be lax indeed if you’re spending your days frolickin’ in the flowers,” Randor, captain of Oren’s guard called down to them.  

Aiden smiled, but there was no humor in his hard eyes now, “A fine mornin' for sure, captain Randor. No point in lettin' a glorious day or such lovely flowers go unadmired. I believe your wife is quite fond of flowers…your daughters too,” Aiden pretended to think, then snapped his fingers, “Filomena and Felicia, how are the twins farin' these days, captain?”

A general murmur moved through Oren’s men. Most of them remembered Aiden’s last visit among their clan – it had not been a pleasant parting.

Randor gave him a tight smile but didn’t deign to answer his question. Instead, he swung his legs over one side of his horse, jumping down lightly to his feet. The war horse stamped its feet and shuffled backwards a little. Were clans bred their own livestock, including horses that no longer feared the smell of the shifters…but it was not always easy for the beasts to be around the wolves. Even Randor’s own horse seemed nervous around him, backing away from the tense wolf.

“And who do we have here, captain McKenna?” Randor stopped, his nose flaring slightly, “A human?” the surprise in his voice was clear.

Aiden stepped to the side so Lori was in full view, “Might I present the talented and beautiful Lady Lori, bard and storyteller extraordinaire, honored guest of Lord Eric and all of Wolfgard.” He turned to Lori and his eyes told her to tread carefully, “My lady, this is Captain Randor of the Fenrir Wolf clan, under the rule of Lord Oren the Bold.”

Lori curtsied slightly, her face a polite mask as she heard Des whisper a warning in her ear.

We’re almost there, Lori. Be very careful with what you say to these guys...play it cool.

“A pleasure to make your acquaintance, captain Randor,” she said, her voice as cool and steady as she could make it.

Captain Randor studied her closely as he bowed, “I am sure the pleasure is all mine, my lady.” He rose and cocked his head to the side, his eyes as black as pitch as he studied her, “Had we known Lord Eric entertained such lovely company at Wolfgard, we would have called much sooner.”

Lori smiled, pretending she did not hear the mild threat hidden within the compliment. “You are most kind, captain.”

“Not at all, my lady. I have not seen a human in quite some time…” his eyes moved across her body and she tried hard to keep from fidgeting under his intense perusal. “I was but a pup the last time I saw one.”

“Is that right?”

“Aye, but unfortunately I had not the pleasure to hear the man weave his tales of glory and bravery which had brought the human to sojourn at the keep.”

“A pity,” she agreed.

He smiled and it did nothing to ease the mounting unease she felt growing in her belly, “Though, not a total loss. I do remember he sang quite beautifully. Even to the end, as he lay bleedin' and torn to pieces within our fightin' circle.” He gave her a shrewd look, “He did not understand the ways of our people and he paid for the transgression with his life.”