Eight

Tonight is our engagement party and I am so excited. Who wouldn't be? I was putting on my shoes when there was a knock on my door. "Who is it?" I asked and the door opened.

Louis walked into the room holding boxes in his arms. "Someone completely undeserving of your love and affection." I sighed and he set the boxes down on the bed. "I come bearing gifts every perfume Santa Maria Novella has to offer. Feel free to bash the imperial lavender over my head if you'd like."

I lightly shook my head, standing up. "I like your head too much."

"I know I did some really stupid things before I left, but I've come back a better man. I promise you."

I smiled. "I believe you. And I'm glad because I need you to be your best prince charming at our shower tonight."

Louis looked over at all the gifts I have laying on the bed. "What are all these? Hostess presents for Serena. I had to outdo the gifts that Blair got me. You've seen them. I had some pieces flown in from her favorite antique store in Paris. It's the least I could do to say thank you for whatever perfect evening she has planned for us."

"They're beautiful. But how--how do you know it's going to be perfect?"

I looked at him confused. "Because Serena's one of my best friends, and she knows what I like better than anybody."

"I'm sure it'll be a lovely party."

I could sense the 'but' in his tone. I sighed, crossing my arms. "But?"

Louis sighed. "Nothing. It's just, I've done some thinking while I was gone, and I'm starting to wonder if your friends really have your best interests at heart. I didn't get mad when you didn't want to move out of here. I didn't get upset when you didn't want to convert to Catholicism."

"That has nothing to do with my friends."

"Yes, it does. It's about the sacrifices you make for your partner."

"And what have you sacrificed? You spent your whole trip bonding with your family, who hates me, after constantly telling me that you don't trust me with no proof that you shouldn't."

"They're my family, Lena. But I've created some much-needed distance between me and them, and I think you should do the same with your so-called friends. Your friends know no loyalty. Each one rats out the next, and you and I get sucked right into it."

"My friends and I have grown up. We're not like that anymore. And you think your sister isn't out to get you. She'll do anything to get your crown."

"My sister and I have made up. She apologized."

I scoffed. "And I'm sure she meant it." Sarcasm soaked my tone. "Like I'm sure she wanted to take our child away for the good of Monaco!" I turned on my heels storming towards the door.

"We're not done!" Louis snapped and I turned to look at him one last time.

"Yes, we are!" I yelled and I saw all the fire in him back down. I walked out of the room and left.

I needed somewhere to pout, so I went to Blair and Sebastian's. I don't know why they are still here. You would think they would have a party to help with. At least Blair would. But instead, she's just showing pictures of a house she got with Sebastian. "It's going to be amazing after the decorator gets in there. "It is an amazing house." I said, mainly to make bringing the attention back on me less obvious. "Serena has been so tight-lipped about the preparations, I haven't a clue what to wear." I stated.

"Here it comes." Sebastian said bringing in two teas for us.

"Should I be ladylike in De La Renta, avant-garde in Alaia, or magnificent in McQueen?"