Episode 4.4

My job interview. It's tomorrow afternoon.

"I'm sorry. I know you don't like to see me cry," he said in his soft voice, his eyes on the road. 

"No, it's not, um, I..." I trailed off, I was short on words. It's true then why I'm saying no.

 "Who likes crying? Do you like crying?" I said. He shook his head in no. "But..." I caress his fingers, he looked up at me. "It doesn't mean that you can't. Crying is not a sin. It's a response to emotions, like sadness, happiness, frustration, and even if you're scared."  I emphasize the last word a little. "It doesn't mean you're weak. Crying makes you mentally stronger," I squeeze his hand in mine, "It means you know how to express yourself,"

"Is this true? Am I strong?" he says

"Yes, you are, my baby. Stronger than me," I said, he smiled. "By the way, what did you see in your dream?"

"A clown," he mumbled

"Clown?" I frowned

He nodded. "He was touching me with his hands. So roughly and badly, it was hurting me too much," he moved closer to me. "His face was really scary,"

Sometimes hearing his night terrors gives me creep. "Don't worry," I said, "It's not real. What do I always say?"

"The good thing about a bad dream is it is just a dream," We said together and laughed.

I was feeling so sleepy that I might lay on this road right now. But, anything for my boyfriend. If he wants to walk outside on road at 1 am, then go with him. That's how much I care about him. 

After half an hour, he said, "Let's go inside," Maybe he noticed me yawning. 

"Yeah," I said and we went to the bedroom. I plopped on the bed on my stomach, he climbed and laid on my back, giggling in my ears. 

"Good night," he whispered

"Good night, baby," I know he's not gonna sleep yet.

I was right. He wasn't there in the bed when I woke up. Everything is going accordingly to how I foretold them yesterday after he got scared. He had a nightmare, a worse one. Didn't sleep the whole night. And the next thing's going to be hallucinations. I have to stay close to him all day because ghosts fear me, according to him. Am I even scarier than a ghost? 

But, here comes the problem. I have a job interview at 2 pm, out of town. And I actually need to go, because I need this job. Things will get pretty easy for both of us if I get this opportunity. We might leave this ghost house and start a new life somewhere else. Away from this city. 

Now, what to do about Joshua? There's a 99 percent chance, he'll see something which doesn't belong to this world. He might get scared and hurt himself like how he got that cut on his hand. But first, where is he?

He was not on the balcony, so I go downstairs. His voice was coming from his art room, he was humming a song. They're back in town, it's the greatest show around, the circus is coming to town. Why is he singing a kid's song? I go inside, he was painting something. There are so many bright colors on his table. I wonder what's he making this time? 

"Baby?" I said back hugging him. It's not complete yet so I couldn't understand what he was making.

"Good morning," he said

"What are you painting?" I asked

"My dream," he said. 

I don't care much about this. My next question, "Since when?"

He turned around, "4 am. I-I couldn't sleep, so I thought-"

"It's fine," I said and kissed his cheek. "In fact, I wanted to say something," He looked at me. "I have an interview this noon, out of town. I need to-"

"Don't go," he cut me. 

"What?" I frowned. I'm feeling, surprised? He's saying no? To me? At a time like this, when life gave me a chance to change. I would've agreed to him but I can't right now.

"Don't go, please, I'm...I'm scared," he said

"Scared of what?" 

"I don't know. It's just a feeling that... that something bad might happen," 

"Baby, nothing bad will happen. I'll be back by evening." I said touching his face.

"Please," he took my hand and looked straight into my eyes, "Listen to me. Just this one time. Don't go," he said softly

"Ok," I smiled. He hugged me. "Come to the kitchen for breakfast,"

"Ok, just 5 minutes,"

I'm sitting in the kitchen, my head resting on my hand. I'm thinking about the interview. It's so important to me. What should I do? That I can go for that too and Joshua also feels safe. My eyes go to the countertop,

Sleeping pills.