Chapter 52: Afterglow

Hope's POV

I feel Daryl shift under me, causing me to wake. I blink sleepily, looking down at him from where I slept draped across him. He smiles, exhaustion still written all over his face.

"How're you, angel?" he murmurs.

I smile lightly and rest my head on his bare chest again. "Better."

He kisses the top of my head, wrapping his arms around me. I roll off of him, trailing my fingers over his arms and chest absentmindedly as we lay there. My head rests on his shoulder, his arm around me as he plays with my hair.

"Who cheated on you before?" he asks.

My fingers freeze, my breath stopping for a moment. Then, I let out a long breath. I need to tell him.

"Bennett Adams. We went out in grade eleven, but he cheated on me with a girl named Kelly Winters." I shudder. "He's the reason I'm insecure with relationships."

Daryl shifts, resting on his side so we're facing each other. He runs his hand down my body, resting on my hip.

"You didn't deserve it," he whispers, pulling me closer to him.

I sigh. "It just...really hurt, you know? He was my first serious relationship."

He smirks. "I'm glad you two broke up."

I gasp. "What?"

"Yeah. Since he did..." He leans over and presses a kiss to my neck. "...you get to be mine."

My face instantly relaxes. "You scared me."

He breathes deeply, trailing kisses down my neck and collarbone. I moan a little, rustling the blankets slightly.

"I have to go to work," I say.

He pulls away and frowns. "Really?"

"Yes! I have a job!"

He rolls over, placing one hand on either side of my body so that he's hovering over me. His eyes glint with playfulness as he leans down, nuzzling my neck.

"Can't you call in sick?" he mumbles against my skin.

"I wish. But I can't." I shut my eyes briefly, his lips on my body derailing my train of thought. "There's only three medical people here, and Pete doesn't really do anything very often."

He pulls his mouth away from my neck. "Maternity leave?"

"That's for after the baby is born."

He huffs. "I can't win here."

I laugh, wrapping my arms around his neck and pulling him into a long kiss.

"I'm just glad we made up," I murmur, my eyes half-shut.

He nods, his scruffy beard brushing my chin. "Mmm...we needed more than some kissin' or huggin'."

I smirk and get him off of me, crawling out of bed. I gather my discarded clothing and toss them into the laundry basket. Daryl keeps laying in bed, a dopey smile on his face. I grab my scrubs, changing swiftly before going to brush my hair and teeth. When I get out, he's in the same spot, his arms behind his head.

"You can change your mind still," he calls, that signature smirk of his lighting up his features.

"I could, but I can't." I chuckle.

"Can I get one more kiss?" He sits up a little, his bedhead making me giggle internally.

I move to him, leaning down and pressing a kiss to his rough lips. Instantly, his arms wrap around me and pull me down on top of him.

"Daryl..." I mumble.

He trails his lips down my jaw, his hands moving slowly down to my hips. I squirm, trying to get away, and he only chuckles as he flips me over and pins me down, his hands clasped firmly around my wrists.

"Are you sure you don't need anythin' else?" he asks, nipping lightly at the space between my neck and ear.

I gasp. "Yeah...yeah, I'm good."

"Hope...I love you," he murmurs. "You're amazin'..." He kisses my neck. "...and beautiful..." He moves down and plants another. "...and I'll never take you for granted..."

I smirk and manage to wriggle out of his grasp, smacking his arm lightly.

"That was not one more kiss," I scold.

He chuckles. "You liked it."

I don't respond to that and turn to the door. "See you after work, darling."

"I'll be waitin'."

I smile, heading out. The door to the Grimes' house opens, revealing Rick. He meets me almost immediately, worry etched all over his face.

"Are you two ok?" he asks. "That fight...it didn't look good."

I nod. "We're all good. We just had a...misunderstanding."

He sighs with relief. "Good, real good. Everyone was pretty concerned after you stormed out."

"I can see why. Daryl kicked our bedroom door down..." I bite my lip. "But it's all ok now. We made up."

Rick's eyes widen. "He kicked down your door?!"

I chuckle nervously. "Yeah..."

"He didn't hurt you?"

"Not at all." I look over his shoulder. "I have to get to work. We can talk later."

"Have fun at the doctors' house," he calls as I start to walk away.

"Have fun with your constable things!" I return.

I smile brightly, feeling completely at ease.