Episode 17: Practicing Paranoia

Eda whistled, dancing around the room. Owlbert was sat perched upon the couch, watching Eda with big doe eyes. The ring of Hooty's own singing could be heard muffled outside. It was a beautiful day. No rain, nothing. The sun was surprisingly shining.

Eda smiled in content as she sat down on the couch next to Owlbert, scratching his chin.

"Oh, Owlbert-"

"EEEEEDDDDDAAAAAA!!"

Eda nearly fell off the couch at the loud shout of her name, choking on her apple blood she just took a sip of. She pumped her fist against her chest and sputtered up the apple blood, groaning in annoyance.

King skittered in, Luz close behind him. He reached Eda's feet and put on his best begging face.

"Eeeedaaaaa, can we please go to the slayground, pleaseeee?"

Luz reached Eda by now as well, her big brown eyes staring up at the owl lady.

"Pweaseeee?" Luz managed to get out, followed by small gurgling noises.

Eda groaned, shaking her head and covering her face with her hands.

"Can't.... resist..."

King gave Luz a gentle bump, giggling quietly.

"Okay, fine. King, Luz, we'll go to the slayground."

"Yay!" King yelled, taking Luz's small hands in his own. "We're going to the slayground, we're going to the slayground!" King started to chant, slowly spinning in circles so Luz could keep the pace.

Eda groaned, rubbing her face.

This was going to be a long day.

-

Eda sat down on a nearby bench, intent on watching King and Luz play.

Suddenly, someone pushed her off the bench with a "hmph!" making Eda fall to the ground. She jumped up in anger, growling and curling her hands into fists.

"Hey, watch it!" Eda yelled, before realizing that it was Odalia Blight.

"Hey there, you good for nothing goof, that's MY seat!" Eda poked her own chest with her index finger, emphasizing her words.

"Oh well." Odalia stated simply, unfastening baby Amity from her stroller and letting her run off and play with her elder twin siblings.

"Why, I oughta-"

"Nuh-uh-uh. There's kids around."

"Why should I care about those snotty little-"

"And in case you forgot, your child is here, too. So it would be wise to get along with me."

Odalia sent Eda an evil grin, knowing what she's just done. Eda groaned in annoyance and anger, whipping her head the other way, staring hard at King and Luz.

...

"Come on, Luz!" King yelled, helping her up the steps to get to the slide. "We rule this slayground!" King shouted as a snotty little boy came up behind him.

"Tag, you're it!" the little boy says, poking King so hard in the back that he falls forward and down the slide.

He huffs as he hits the ground, doing his signature squeak of rage.

Eda, from her spot on the bench, chuckled lightly at the sight of King falling. She had her arms crossed over her chest and grinned widely at the sight.

Amity reached the bottom of the slide, giggling and poking the side of King's head, making him stop squealing. "Hey! Don't poke me, child."

King spoke in a quieter voice. Sure, he didn't like kids except for Luz, but he liked Amity more than the snotty kid up top the slide.