1. Neden? (ep5)

My first #AşkMantıkIntikam #EsZan one-shot! Its been a while since I sat down to write, so I'm happy to finally feel the urge to put words down!

For those who have not heard that this is a remake of a kdrama (Cunning Single Lady), and/or don't have an inkling of what might be the big secret Ezra is keeping from Ozan - stop reading! Spoilers ahead :)

The rest of you... carry on :)

This picks up after Ozan take a drunk Ezra home and tucks her into his bed.

---------------------------------------

Ozan tucked the sheet around Ezra's body, unable to look away from her face. He never tired of her beauty. She looked entrancingly angelic in her sleep, even though he knew there was a little bit of the devil inside her. It was the only way he could make sense of what had happened between them.

He sighed deeply, rising to move away, when she reached out her hand and grabbed his. "Gitme," she whispered, stopping him in his tracks. His heart thumped in his chest at her words - just the tiniest sliver of hope surfacing through the cracks in his broken heart. He could never say no to her.

"Tamam," he said, mostly to himself, since she looked like she was already asleep, "tamam, just for a little while."

He sat down on the bed beside her head and she wrapped her warm arm around his waist, snuggling against his body

He sat down on the bed beside her head and she wrapped her warm arm around his waist, snuggling against his body. "Ezra...," he stuttered in protest, and then sighed again, knowing she was asleep. He would sit with her for a little while. He couldn't think of anything he would rather do.

Ozan awoke to the warmth of a soft body pressed up against him, and a familiar smell of jasmine wafting through his senses . Somewhere along the way he had fallen asleep and slide down the bed, so that they now lay with their arms wrapped around each other, her head buried deep in the hollow of his neck.

Why did she always feel like home? How did they always fit together like a puzzle in bed, despite their height difference? He needed to get out of here and away from her, he thought, reaching for the arm that was wrapped tightly around his waist.

But first...he buried his nose in her hair and inhaled...his eyes suddenly stinging with tears at the emotions she managed to evoke. Her hair smelled the same, that heady scent of fresh flowers in the spring. He ran his fingers gently through the loose waves, brushing the tendrils away from her face. "Ah Ezra, I miss you so much," he said brokenly.

She sighed at his words, almost as if she heard him, her lips lifting into a soft smile. His heart stilled, it was the same smile she gave him when he told her he loved her - sweet and warm and understanding. But she never once told him she loved him back. It was like a deep wound that never healed, and every time she didn't respond, the wound opened up again. In time he stopped saying it to her, tired of declaring his one-sided feelings.

Yes, he knew she married for the security she was looking for in marriage, the kind her mother never had. He understood that even, but he loved her so very deeply that he was sure he could make her love him back. Over time, he was afraid to make a declaration of love, for fear that she would actually say the words he dreaded - say out loud that she didn't love him. If she never said them, then he could still cling on to hope.

But then she declared that they were done, out of the blue, cutting deep into that festering wound so that he could never heal again.

Why? Why did she leave? Had he really made her that unhappy? He had worked night and day to get his startup running, and he knew he had neglected her, but she seemed to keep busy. She worked at a bookstore in the mohalle during the day and more often than not stayed late to help her mother out in the restaurant.

If only she had waited, if only she had faith in him, if only she had loved him even half as much as he loved her, he would have given her the moon.

He brushed his thumb, against the side of her lips, almost as if the wipe the smile away - the smile that reminded him that she didn't love him. But he ran his fingers against her soft cheek instead. Softer than the petals of a rose - he used to say to her.

His brows furrowed as he was suddenly reminded of the tears in her eyes when he'd confronted her that night - the way she had cut short her sentence. What was she hiding? What was she blaming him for inside her head? Why did she leave without giving him a chance to fix things, whatever it was?

"Why Ezra?" he asked raggedly, a tear rolling down his cheek, "Neden? Why did you go?"

The smile slide from her face,  and her lips parted slightly, "Cunku...," she said, her voice barely above a whisper,  "cunku bebegimizi kaybettik...," she let out a soft sob, a tear escaping through her closed eyelids, "ben de kaybolmak istedim..." She pushed against him bitterly, turning on her side away from him, her body curling up into a defensive ball.

Ozan stopped breathing, his brain working overtime to put the pieces of the puzzle together - the final picture striking a crushing blow of shame and sorrow to his heart.

~fin~

Translations

Gitme : Don't go

Neden : Why?

Cunku : because

Cunku bebegimizi kaybettik :  because the baby was gone

ben de kaybolmak istedim : so i wanted to disappear too

Notes (2021-07-17):

I honestly can't wait for this secret to be out. I need him to feel deep regret and i need her to realize she loves him. The one thing that struck me as I watched is that Ezra thinks she has never been in love, so that means that she never told Ozan that she loves him. That's a tough cross to bear for a man who married the girl he's loved since they were kids. I think that one hurts deep. He feels used and unloved. Of course he doesn't know how hard she worked to keep them afloat so he could dedicate his time to getting his company started. From what we've seen she never told him how hard it really was for her, maybe because she didn't want to add to his stress. So I think life threw them both curveballs, even though they never meant to hurt each other.

Anyway, I'm really so excited about this dizi, and can't wait to see how the chips fall. Do let me know what you think.

P.S. Huge shoutout and thanks to Dilan (@DiziMiyyy on Twitter), she helped me phrase the Turkish sentences properly and came up with the "I wanted to disappear too" spin on my original plan, which I thought was just perfect, better than what I was trying to say.