♠ Twenty One

There had never been a more appropriate phrase then "I want the ground to open up and swallow me whole" because that was the only thing that Zoe could think right now. She had openly gone and put her foot straight into her mouth. She could feel the gazes of both Amy and Adam burning into her back as she embarrassingly made eye contact with the director she had just insulted. Blinking at him, Zoe couldn't find any words to say to the man standing before her. Eyebrows raised, Mr Barber slid past Zoe, handing two coffee's to Amy and Adam. A silent string of curses left Zoe's mouth as she closed her eyes, trying to gain her composure. It wasn't just her ribs and arm that were twinging with pain, her pride was now bruised. 

"Mr Barber, I can't tell you how excited we are to be working with you" Amy exclaimed, standing up and taking the coffee from him. Adam, on the other hand was still grinning at Zoe, enjoying her utter embarrassment. 

"All of us. Each and every one of us." Adam nodded, taking the coffee. 

"Your resumes are all very impressive. I felt like I had hit the jackpot when you sent them in Amy, reading over what you three have accomplished... it's something my theatre team need." Charlie insisted, turning around and handing Zoe the last coffee. 

"She doesn't drink-" Adam started, but Zoe took the beverage from Charlie as she shot Adam a look. 

"Thank you- I didn't- what I said-" Charlie raised his hand up and shook his head as Zoe attempted to speak. 

"It's okay, you don't need to apologise. I'll make sure I'm on time the next time, just for you." He noted, slight hint of teasing in his tone. Before she could retaliate, Charlie ushered the three of them backstage. Zoe let out a groan as she trudged behind them, her hands clutching at the coffee, her mind whirring. She wanted nothing more than to go back home and bury herself under her duvet. While Adam and Amy chatted with Charlie about the play, Zoe had zoned out, her mind running back to Ronnie. Eventually, she came back into the conversation as Charlie left the room, leaving her alone with her two friends. 

"Well you know how to put your foot in your mouth, don't you?" Adam instantly blurted out, spinning around in his chair to face Zoe. 

"Shut up. Don't say anything." She hissed, narrowing her eyes as she sipped at the coffee. Pulling a face, Zoe pushed the cup away as she heard Adam chuckle. 

"You need to reign it in-" Amy prodded Adam, before turning her attention to Zoe. 

"And you need to stop being so sulky. Speak to Ronnie afterwards." She lectured slightly. Zoe rolled her eyes, turning away from both of them and playing with the lid of the coffee cup. It wasn't long until Charlie returned with paperwork for Adam and Amy. After a few minutes, Charlie shuffled over to Zoe with a pile of paperwork, he placed them on the table in front of her. 

"This is all the information for the cast, all the props that are needed, everything I need to help with the production of the play." Charlie instructed, glancing over to Zoe. 

"The last PA I had, couldn't handle the amount of pressure that came with the job, can you?" The question bounced around in the air, causing Zoe to instantly raise her eyebrows at Charlie. 

"More than capable of handling that pressure, Mr Barber." She barbed back, causing Amy to clear her throat in the background. Charlie pressed his lips together, nodding his head as he scooted back over to Amy and Adam. The minutes passed before they were able to leave the room and head back out into the main part of the theatre. Zoe left Amy and Adam on the stage, hobbling down to some seats at the back and flicking through the tons of paperwork Mr Barber had given her. At this moment in time, she wanted nothing more than to go back home to the UK and forget the last couple of weeks.