012 | opening night

xii

xii. you're my painkiller, a little
dose of you goes a long long way

ANDY PACED BACK AND FORTH, IT WAS 35 minutes until opening night and she was starting to freak out.

Playing Taylor in the show was crazy to her and she didn't know how she ended up in such a great position.

It had been one of the greatest semesters of her life. She had reconnected with her old best friend and had made new friends she never thought she would have.

Carlos rushed in, "We've got mystery flowers people!" He exclaimed, holding up a giant basket of flowers.

"Head up Mr Caswell, Miss Jenn said this is a phone free zone," Kourtney said as she tried to apply more makeup.

"I know, but this is important," he said and Andy smiled, knowing what it was about.

Once he was done, he walked over to her, "You sent it to Gina yet?" She asked.

"Yeah," he said, leaning next to her. He couldn't believe that he was here with his best friend, living the dream.

They both had smiles on their faces. There was something about their friendship, something effortles and just natural.

"Its a good think that you're doing," she said with a smile and he smiled back.

Miss Jenn walked in, "Most of you know that our dazzling Kelsi had to leave under family circumstances, Gina sends her love but sadly, Kourtney is going to fill her in," she said.

Everyone applauded, knowing that Kourtney was going to be great out there. They had heard her sing at the El Ray and she was amazing.

"So now, I just want to you to think of a word or phrase from the show that expresses where your head is, if anyone wants to share?" She suggested but it was silent.

"You're my guys and this is my team," Big Red said and Andy smiled at him.

Everyone started sharing, Andy listening to them all as she included her quote.

"Not matter what happened tonight, we're all in this together," Miss Jenn said, "Okay Wildcats, we are on in twenty minutes,

Before they went in, they all held hands, Andy and EJ holding each others. It was like it had come full circle, now they felt comfortable with each other and cared about one another again.

They finished, walking upstairs, Andy and EJ still holding hands until they got to the stairs and let go, smiles on their faces.

Everyone waited in the wings, Andy and EJ talking about Gina as he texted on his phone.

"EJ, Andy, you know we're putting on an actual show right," Ashlyn said and Andy chuckled.

"Yeah, thanks Ash. I have the power of sight," she said with a laugh, EJ laughing as well.

"You wanna stop canoodling and get off your phone for ten minutes," Ashlyn suggested to EJ.

He put his phone in his pocket, apologising as he looked at Andy, both of them knowing what was going to happen.

"I never thought I'd see you two so close," Ashlyn said with a chuckle, looking at her friend and her cousin.

"Well, the ladies just can't resist me," he said and she hit him on the arm.

"Shut it Caswell, it's my scene now," she said, him wishing her good luck before she walked out with Nini.

He watched in awe, knowing that she was a natural born actor. He also knew that it was going to be his scene soon.

"What do you know about Troy Bolton?" Nini asked as Gabriella.

"Troy? I wouldn't consider myself an expert on that particular subspecies, unless you count cheerleader and 'oh my gosh, isn't Troy Bolton just rhe hottue super bomb " she said, the people in the crowd laughing.

She watched EJs scene, preparing for the dance number in Stick to the Status Quo.

"But Kourtney is doing Kelsi and Gina is amazing, I could get the orchestra to cut the part," Carlos suggested as they all discussed what to do.

"Or we could just get Gina to do it,' Andy said, running up to her and giving her a hug.

Gina whispered her a thank you before turning to the team who bombarded her with hugs.

"How did you get here?" Carlos asked, Gina looking at EJ and Andy.

"A friend bought me a last minute flight back, I was gonna drop off these cupcakes then hide in the gym and cheer you guys on," Gina explained.

"Gina, no one in the gym wants to hide more than I do right now," Kourtney explained, everyone laughing.

"Wait, are you playing Kelsi?" Gina asked, looking at the outfit that Kourtney was wearing.

"I was and it was nice and now it's your turn to save my butt and do the dance," Kourtney said, practically shoving the tray into Gina's hands.

Gina agreed, everyone getting ready for the dance number.

They all danced around, the song playing as they all performed it. Then it came to Gina's part and she ran out, doing her dance solo.

Then Seb came out, singing his part as Sharpay as he walked down the steps, singing.

Nini poured her 'food' all over seb as the song ended, Andy next to her as they neared the end of Act One.

When EJ and Andy bumped into each other afterwards, it was just a flurry of congratulations and well dones.

"You were amazing," he said, a huge grin on her face.

Andy scoffed, "I was amazing? You were the best!" She exclaimed, the two completely overcome with joy.

"Well, you two seem happy," Ashlyn said as she saw them, shooting a wink their way.

"You were great too Ashlyn," Andy said, EJ nodding his head vigorously.

"Shes right. Miss Darbus couldn't have been played by a better actress," EJ said, his smile mirroring Andys.

"This is weird, I'll see you two later - but thanks," Ashlyn said with a chuckle before walking off.

Ashlyn looked back at the two as they sat down, laughing with one another. She could see the obvious chemistry between them - so could anyone who was watching them on stage.

She always knew that they would end up together at some point and now it was real.

1116 words