006 | just for a moment

vi

vi. when we're underneath the lights, my hearts no longer broken

AFTER RICKY FOUND OUT THAT HIS parents were splitting up, he went round Big Red House for the night so the three sat around just chilling.

"Tell me when to stop, do you like it hard or soft?" Big Red asked, pumping up the air mattress.

"Are you sure that is even a bed?" Ricky asked, looking at it suspiciously.

"You know Ricky, I have a spare room since my older brother left for UCLA, you can sleep there, we don't bite," She explained.

"Dont worry, I'll be fine here," He said and she nodded, leaning back on Big Red armchair.

She had been there for Ricly throughout everything that had happened with his parents. They had been struggling for about a year and so had Ricky.

She knew how it felt for your family to fall apart, for everyone to pity you and treat you differently. Andy had lost her father the same year she had lost EJ as a friend.

"Do your parents know you're sleeping over?" Big Red asked, moving the pumped up bed to the side.

He shook his head, "I texted them but I'm not asking for permission," he explained and he sighed, lying down.

"I'll see you two later, remember, I'm here if you need me," she said, going home, leaving the boys alone.

☆☆☆

LATER THAT NIGHT, SHE HEARD A
knock on the door and opened it to see EJ. She looked down at her watch confused, it was 9pm.

"Caswell?" She questioned and he sighed, sniffling slightly as he looked at the floor.

There was something clearly wrong and she couldn't tell what it was or why he was suddenly appearing at her door in the early hours of the night.

"Can I come in for five?" He asked and she nodded, ushering him inside.

Her older sisters, Vivian and Charlie, who were 19 and 21 respectively, both watched as EJ walked in.

They got up from the couch, waving goodbye before walking away, basically gossiping with the rest of the family about what was going on.

Charlie was 21 and had just arrived back from University. She was tall and confident, a marketing major who was going to be staying for the year.

Vivian wasn't planning on going to school and instead worked in a local cafe. She was 19 and a little bit shy and introverted.

Andy ignored her sisters walking away and turned to EJ, looking at him, "Whats wrong EJ?" She asked and if he wasn't upset, he would have smiled, she never called him EJ.

"Well, Nini kind of broke up with me and I-I just didn't want to be alone," he explained and she nodded her head.

"Oh EJ, I'm sorry. Do you want tea, coke or something?" She asked and he nodded, wiping his eyes discreetly.