4. Face to Face

AFTER THREE WEEKS.

L’s p.o.v (Jackie )

 We did it. We solved the case.” I was so satisfied. After so much hard work we were able to limit the number of suspects and eventually find the criminal.

“Yes we did. Together. I guess two brilliant brains do make a bigger difference when they work together.”

I blushed as he said that but I was thankful he couldn’t see me. I’m an idiot. And suddenly the realization hit me. That meant conversations were over. I would no longer have a reason to communicate with him. Why was a suddenly disappointed? But wait…

“So about my job application?” I asked calmly.

“I suggested you even when you mentioned the matter. They will take you under consideration.”

“Really?” I asked surprised and excited.

“Yes. It was a pleasure working with you L.” I bit my lower lip and then smiled.

“It was a pleasure working with you too X.”

“Oh and before you go. I want you to keep this laptop. Just as a gift for the good work you did.”

“I will definitely remember this case. It’s my first one with a partner.”

“Glad to know I’m your first.” I suddenly felt steam around me.

“First job with the organization as a partner. That’s what I meant.”

“Of course. Take care L.”

“Take care X.”

Call ended.

X’s p.o.v (Ethan)

Two weeks passed since the investigation ended but somehow the excitement I had vanished when the call with L ended.

I opened up my locker and found a little box inside. Carefully I took it. What if this is a trap or …But as I opened it a sweet smell of perfume hit me. Inside was a pink heart shaped letter. I took it and read it. It had a love poem inside and some rose petals inside the box.

“Girls are just over you Ethan.”

 I handed the box to Logan who grinned like him teasing me, was the best job in the world.

“Throw it away without anyone seeing you.”

“Why are you so cold hearted? It's Valentine's.” Landon appeared out of nowhere with a judging expression.

“I am not interested in dating.”

“Are you interested in anything else but school?” Landon asked nervously.

“Are you sensitive because you are alone for Valentine’s ?” I asked him. He started blushing and turned angry very soon.

“I have plenty girls on my list, but I wouldn’t want to break anyone’s heart.”

“So you are just going to use them all?”

“No! That’s not what I meant.” He started panicking.