12 | hidden paradise

WHEN WAS THE last time Singto was afraid for his life? Was it when he almost died due to a car accident? Was it when his car rolled down the hill? He couldn't remember, and that's all he could remember out of all the accidents that happened

Or maybe the Operating Theater filled with a surgeon and nurses waiting for his arrival?

Singto's head went blank while waiting for his time. He couldn't think straight, most especially when he discovered something spectacular in the journal. The words kept on repeating in his head like a broken recorder.

Like he needed to come back in order to figure out the missing pieces of the puzzle. The journal became his motivation to come back.

"Mr. Ruangroj?"

Singto looked up and immediately faced a nurse holding a clipboard. He knew that it's time to conduct the surgery. He couldn't think anything at the moment as memories flooded his mind together with his mother and friends.

Smiling through the pain, Singto slowly closed his eyes, and darkness greeted him with an open arms.

"WE'RE not talking about your future, mom. We're both talking about mine, my future. I don't want to go to a medical school or enrolled in any engineering courses. All I want for you is to support me with my dreams, my life, and where I'm passionate."

"That's why I'm against this photography, Singto. Do you think there's a future for you in that passion of yours?"

"Of course! If not, then I should be the one dealing with that problem, mom. Why are you so agitated about photography? What made you hate it so damn much?"

"Because of your dad," Singto's mom replied, frowning as she remembered her late husband. "If it isn't for photography, he would be here with us today. Believe me or not, but photography couldn't give you any future in the end."

"You're wrong," Singto shook his head in disapproval. "Dad had a future, but you just didn't like how it turned out to be. You can't make someone love something because you wanted them your way. I can make a future for myself, and I'm taking the next step after graduating high school, mom."

Singto took his bag lying on the sofa. The thought of leaving while still in the middle of an argument with his mother sadden him. But he needed to get away to clear his mind— to breathe fresh air.

"Where are you going?" Singto's mother asked, stopping the tears from falling.

"One last thing," Singto looked back and weakly smiled. "I have a different future from my father. He took photography to saved his family, but I wanted to take photography to save myself. Selfish? I'm tired and done being selfless, mom."

Singto walked away, leaving no regrets about what he said. No one could defend and speak on behalf of him other than himself. Whatever he said is the truth, and his mother needed to accept the reality that he's pursuing photography.