epilogue

WAVING A HAND to the new Directress of the well-known orphanage in town, a young man made his way to the playground

WAVING A HAND to the new Directress of the well-known orphanage in town, a young man made his way to the playground. It's already six in the morning, and the children were still fast asleep in the dormitory. He grabbed a broomstick, lying helplessly on the ground, and started his day by cleaning the whole area quietly.

Twinkle, twinkle, little star

He hummed to the song coming from the new set of speakers attached to every corner of the premises. Gathering all the withered leaves beside a big fat tree, he decided to rest for a while before finding the dustpan.

How I wonder what you are

The song is like an alarm clock, indicating that the children should be up by now or they'll miss breakfast— kidding aside. Change is inevitable, and with just a glimpse of an eye, the things that he used to have suddenly disappeared one by one.

Up above the world so high

The orphanage he loves is an example. Within seven years, every newly appointed Directress of the orphanage tried to change the system for their self-interest, but only one succeeds. Sr. Khao Fang changed everything, but the change is for the benefit of all children and the people working on the premises.

Like a diamond in the sky

After cleaning the playground, the young man went straight to the lobby. Ten minutes from now, the children will be running to meet him and asked to continue the story he's been telling everyone since last month.

Twinkle, twinkle, little star

A moment later, he could hear the heavy footsteps of the children coming his way. A smile formed on his thin lips as he saw someone reaching the finish line with excitement evident in the face. Well, he placed a book inches away from the doorway. The kid picked up the book before running to hug him so tight, both stumbling on the ground.

How I wonder what you are

Everyone gathered around the lobby, still anticipating the ending of his story. The young man was about to say his greetings when he saw Sr. Khao Fang looking at him with fondness in her eyes. He sweetly smiled at her, bowing a little bit to acknowledge her presence in the lobby.

"Are we going to continue the story?" An eleven-year-old kid asked, sitting at the back together with his friends.

"Of course," The young man replied, still smiling from ear to ear. "We'll finish the story today, and I'll prepare another one for the next two weeks. I won't be able to see all of you for two Saturdays. I'll be busy at the University— is it okay with you?"

"Study hard. . . favorite person!" A three-year-old kid sitting in front giggled while hardly coming up with a sentence, but she did in the end.

"Promise that you'll come back next, next week?" An eight-year-old kid with trust issues asked, averting her gaze to Sr. Khao Fang at the back.