02 | beeping sound

ALMOST ELEVEN IN the evening, a bus driver dozed off on the way to his final stop

ALMOST ELEVEN IN the evening, a bus driver dozed off on the way to his final stop. When he woke up, the bus was already on the other lane. Lucky before unlucky, the vehicle that was supposed to collide with the bus luckily took the other road lane. But they were out of luck when the ten-wheeler truck trailing the bus crashed the vehicle till it flew away to the edge of the hillside.

Unluckily, there was no way the vehicle could keep its balance between the road and hillside. After a moment of silence, the car went tumbling down.

The passenger and driver of the car were transported immediately to the hospital, but the latter was dead-

Tay turned off the television. The moment he recognized the Sierra Burgundy Hyundai Palisade his friend owned, Tay got scared. He wanted to deny the idea that his friend was involved in an accident. But the evidence was in front of him.

There's no way that he was making things up. It was indeed his friend's car.

"Have you heard any ridiculous news from Aunt last night?" Tay asked as soon as Off picked up the call.

"I haven't. Why is that? Aunt. . . who are you referring to?" Off asked back, having no idea what happened to their friend.

"Never mind," He heaved a deep sigh while slowly controlling his breathing. "Maybe I was going crazy, or maybe I was getting paranoid knowing his condition. Do you think he told his boyfriend about it?"

"Either he told him or not, it's not our business to get involved with, Tay."

"Yeah, I know, and I'm sorry for calling you early in the morning, Off."

Tay ended the call. Whatever he saw kept on repeating like a broken recorder. He tried calling his friend numerous times, but it was out of reach. Sitting in front of the flat-screen television while doing nothing was making him crazy. He values friendship more than anything else's in this world.

Getting up from his seat, Tay ran outside his house. If doing nothing made him crazy, then doing something is making him crazy as ever.

He doesn't know what to do and where to go. He's worried about something he's not sure about early in the morning. All he ever wanted at this moment was a cup of hot brewed coffee to awaken his system- he needs to find answers as fast as he could anyway.

***

"WHERE IS YOUR son?"

Singto woke up feeling nauseous. The commotion outside his private room isn't helping either. Holding his head like his life depends on it, faces of people he doesn't remember and places he's not sure he visited kept flashing on repeat. It was giving him an extreme headache, and not even a scream could help relieve the pain.

Minutes later, people barged in and asked him if he was okay. He kept looking for answers in their eyes, but none of them had it.

"I told you, you were no good for my son!"

"It's not his fault! Why are you blaming my son? It was an accident, and your son was the one driving the car, don't forget that!"

"So, you're telling me that it was my son's fault why his body ended up in the morgue?"

"I'm telling you, it was no one's fault!"

"If only your foolish son returned my only son so soon, he'll still be alive by now. But instead, they both run away, and where did they end up now? One in the morgue and the other lying helplessly waiting for his days to come."

"Stop it, will you?"

"No, I'm not stopping till your son understands where my hatred is coming from because he took my son away from me!"

"Look, I'm so sorry about-"

"STOP!"

Singto screamed, and everyone in the room fell silent. He managed to calm the beating of his heart, but not the headache. The two women, who were bickering earlier, halted and stared at Singto with wide eyes.

"Singto, are you okay-"

"Who are you, people?" He asked the moment he couldn't name both women inside the room.

"It's your mom,"

"Is this sort of a drama to avoid your foolishness? Because none of you-"

"Mom? Who is Singto? Who's in the morgue? Who am I anyway?"

He began to panic the moment realization hit him. What is he doing in a plain white room? Why is he stitched up? Why is there a bandage on his head? Too many questions he badly wants to ask but doesn't know where to start.

Scared is an understatement. The anxiety was killing Singto to the bones, seconds after seconds that passed. No one replied, and the woman who claimed to be his mother stormed out the room calling for a nurse.

"If ever I'll find out that this is just an act," The woman in front of him heaved a deep sigh, still with her eyes filled with hatred. "I would no longer hesitate, Singto. That accident? It was your damn fault, got it?"

With a heavy heart, Singto rubbed his chest to find calmness within. He leaned backward and was about to close his eyes when nurses and a doctor came in. The unanswered question about his whereabouts was too obvious. Of course, he's in a fucking hospital and doesn't have the slightest idea why.

The check-up went for several minutes. It was a cycle of asking lots of questions to a patient who lost his memories from an accident. He instantly asked questions to his mother, but she didn't have the heart to tell his son about the death of his lover. Looking at him so broken, it broke her heart as well.

"I'll just have a nap,"

Singto thought he could find peace while lying on the bed. He's thankful enough that the headache died down for a bit, but the aching of his heart is unbearable. He doesn't know why. Deep inside him mourns for something, mourns for someone he couldn't remember at all.

As he secretly wiped the tears streaming down his face, sleep was inevitable. The thought about everything being a dream is the little hope sparked in his heart as he prayed multiple times that what happened was just part of his nightmare.

He doesn't want to forget after all. Forgetting his loved ones was Singto's biggest fear since he was a little kid.

"Sweet dreams, my little prince!"

The moment Singto closed his eyes, Gun and New were currently running down the hallway. Upon arriving at their destination, their friend was already in a deep slumber. They were looking at their friend who's peacefully sleeping melted their heart but broke at the same time.

When was the last time Singto had a peaceful life? Today.

Most people acquainted with him thought that his life was perfect. No, they were wrong as his life is the same as the others.

He has the means to buy whatever he likes.

But can money buy the blessing from his lover's family?

He has the most stable job, and he's passionate about it.

But can photography make his own family proud?

He has friends who promise him to have his back forever.

But can promises last longer knowing his condition right now?

He has the man everyone's asking till they give up.

But can a dead person rise again to comfort him?

No, which means that his life isn't perfect, like what people portrayed him this past few years. He has lots of ups and downs, and one of them was the day he ran away from life to find happiness with the man who promised him eternity- but already traveled in the afterlife right before his eyes.

Such a messy definition of a perfect life.

***