Chapter 18

---

The harsh morning rays burn Tommy's eyes as they crack open. They're slightly irritating to his skin; he feels it must be part of his newfound identity. A nuisance he'll have to deal with for all eternity more like it.

"Jesus christ Wilbur why did you crack open the curtains? I'm dying over here!" He groggily complains, carefully kicking the sheets off of himself and rubbing his eyes in an attempt to get the tiredness out.

"Wilbur isn't here at the moment mate."

The boy immediately jumps at the unexpected voice.

Sire. A voice in his head whispers, circling around his head. Round and round it repeats, almost like an echo. Its becomes almost overwhelming until-

It stops.

Almost immediately after his chest bubbles up with feelings of warmth and safety, something oh so saccharine sweet and welcoming. He immediately relaxes, something he welcomes after trying to fight it off the first time. A half-willing smile etches itself on Tommy's face as he gets up from the bed.

"Good morning." The man says sweetly. "I take it that you had a good nights rest?" He closes the curtains and walks over to the light switch, flicking it on. A warm yellow light engulfs the room; it wasn't too bright nor dark. "Much better right?"

Tommy slowly nods. It wasn't particularly painful but nonetheless it was a relief to his slightly irritated skin.

"Don't want to talk? You were so feisty beforehand!"

He stays silent for a moment.

"Or is it me? It's me isn't it? Its been so long since i've made an addition to the family. It's probably too overpowering..." The last part he trails off until it was nothing more than a whisper. "You haven't seen me for a bit either so it's coming into full swing right? You're even smiling at me! Its been so long since you've smiled." Because he hasn't had a reason to.

Tommy shakes his head, "No, I just-"

"Hm?"

"Don't feel like-"

"Fighting anymore?" Philza finishes. Tommy looks away embarrassed. He really put up much of a fight did he? And the way Philza's looking at him like it was expected just- No. everything's how it should be.

"Yes..." He mumbles.

Philza lets out a hearty laugh. "No need to be embarrassed! Its completely normal."

"In what whatever fucked up world you live in it is." Don't be mean, respect him.

"Hmpf, and I least thought you'd be nicer."

He fumbles a bit before responding, feeling compelled to comply. "M' sorry," He says. That's better.

Philza waves his hand dismissively. "No need to apologize mate. Didn't choose you to be submissive. That's for the weaker bloodlines."

Curiosity spikes up in the boy. "Weaker bloodlines?" He asks.

"Weaker vampires. Those who don't have the ability to evolve over the years. They're the ones hunters usually capture and kill." He pauses, "For us, they're subordinates."

"This isn't some abuse of power is it?" He inwardly scolds himself. Of course not how could you think that?

"Oh no, no, no. They choose to align themselves with us. In fact, we offer protection, the ones who die are usually ones who refuse to join a coven for it."