Chapter 16

Songs: The Hype (alt. mix) by Twenty-One Pilots

The sun is shining, completely unreflective of the somber reason we're all here today. There's only one funeral home in town and all processions are held outdoors. Behind the pastor, Ross' casket sits on a table a few feet away from the grave where it will be buried. The grave has already been dug up and six feet of dirt lays next to it. The casket is very plain. No polish. No chrome accents. It's a few pieces of plywood short of a pine box. The men at Ross' dad's job chipped in money along with some help from the town.

Just like the play, the turnout isn't great. There's about two dozen chairs and only half of them are filled. Ross' dad and his brothers are sitting in the front row listening to the pastor preach about the tragically short end to such a bright future. Given that the first row is usually reserved for family only, I sit in the second. Behind me sits Loli, Raven and Juniper. A few rows back, Kayla and a few other people from the drama club sob into tissues. Mr. Hunt and Mrs. Hinton are also present. Though I suspect Mrs. Hinton is here for me more than Ross. My parents dropped me off but refused to sit for the memorial. No one else from Grove's social elite has bothered to stop by. Similar to the fundraiser, they would rather write a check than meet face to face with a charity case.

The pastor has been talking for the past half hour about what a good boy Ross was and how God has reclaimed one of His angels. He clearly knows nothing about Ross because he wasn't at all religious. The pastor is here for Ross' dad and to appease Grove social norms. The whole time he speaks, Ross' dad frequently adjusts himself in his seat. It's as if he's more bothered by the hard metal chairs than his son's death. He could at least pretend like he isn't just waiting for this to be over.

Despite all the fake tears and forced words of remembrance, I look around and actually feel that Ross would be pleased. I called Ross' dad when I heard about the memorial and offered to help arrange it. He tried to turn me down at first but couldn't help but to accept after I kept insisting. I used my birthday savings to surround the procession with flowers I could afford. I called Kate the only florist in town, and asked her what I could buy with $120.92. She said in order to fill an area of this size it would probably be best to buy only wildflowers and filler flowers. So that's what I did. Around the stand where the pastor is, there are several bouquets of green filler flowers and white baby's breath. Down the aisle separating the two sections of chairs, there are purple and pink flowers to add a little color. It's not much but I think it would have been enough for Ross.

My biggest idea was to make large prints of all the photos I had taken of Ross and display them around the procession. Mrs. Hinton helped and covered the cost. Every photo I included in my application to art school and even an extra one of Ross and I standing with all the drag queens smiling are printed on 20 x 30 poster boards. I figured there is no better place to tell Ross' story than here, today. Everywhere I look is a moment of Ross. I figure if his dad wasn't able to see him in life maybe he could see him in death.

"If there's anyone who would like to say a word about Ross, please come up," the pastor steps down from the stand and joins Ross' family in the front row.

His dad shifts uncomfortably then walks to the stand. "Thank you everyone for coming. Ross was my son. We didn't always get along but he was my son. I just hope that he's happier now. My family and I want to thank everyone for their generosity and donations for Ross' memorial."

That was all he said. Based on what Ross has told me about his dad, I don't know why I expected more. Maybe I hoped he would feel some kind of remorse for his part in all of this. I'm sure he talked it through with his pastor and said a few Hail Mary's before absolving himself.

Ross' eldest brother is the next to speak. "Ross had a lot of potential growing up. He was good at football and made good grades in school. I just wish he would have stuck with sports and kept discipline in his life. As his big brother, all I ever wanted was for him to do well. I regret not being there for him more." He gives Ross' coffin a half-smile and rejoins his father.