Chapter 14

My mother strategically hung up her wedding dress in my room so it's the first thing I see when I wake up. I groan and roll over so I don't have to look at it. I could literally be a wedding cake topper. Despite Mrs. Wells' alterations it still looks like a wedding dress. A wedding dress that falls just below the knees.

Despite plenty of '80's films suggesting otherwise, prom at Grove isn't that big of a deal. Compared to other events, it's an afterthought. Carol Todd and her minions spend months planning for frivolous fundraisers and luncheons but hardly any time on school dances. Probably because Grove has strict rules about the kind of dancing and music that's allowed. She pawns prom off on her daughter who is more than happy to show off her party planning skills. She might as well get good at it.

At school dances, girls and boys must be at least a foot apart at all times and touching is reserved for slow dances. There will only be one slow dance. Still, every person who doesn't have a date has to awkwardly stand on the sidelines and count the seconds until it's over. The music isn't played by a cool DJ like in the movies, it's performed by the local church band. No one in my family is an avid church-goer but if asked, they would adamantly say they were Christian. Even though the only time we go to church is Christmas and Easter. We perfectly fit the C&E Christian stereotype.

The band doesn't take requests and the school gym only turns off a few lights, so they can still see everyone's hands. All in all, it's not an event I mark on my calendar. However, plenty of other people do. Mostly couples. Going with friends is looked down on. Raven only wants to go so she can show off another one of her designs, and Loli wants to go because she's never been to one before. Her parents have seen movies where girls notoriously lose their virginities on prom night and forbade Loli from going. They're only letting her go because it's her senior year and they know she doesn't have a real date.

I desperately want to go downstairs and tell my parents I'm not going or that I'd rather spend my Saturday doing absolutely anything else. But I've been on pretty thin ice lately and I'm afraid one more act of defiance could send them over the edge. Just as I'm preparing my "I woke up sick" speech, the phone rings.

"Paisley, it's Ross."

"Hey, what's up?"

"You still going to prom?"

I pull the phone away from my ear as if he can hear my thoughts. "Actually, I was just thinking of a way to get out of it."

"Is there a way you could think of a way into it?"

"Why?"

"I'm trying to avoid my dad today and going to prom is the perfect excuse to get out of the house, and it probably wouldn't hurt to say I'm going with a girl."

By the sound of his voice, I can tell he's not really into the idea of prom. If anybody could make prom fun it would be him. I loathe the idea that attending prom will make my parents happy but I decide to go for Ross, not them. "Sure," I say hesitantly.

"Do you have something to wear?" He asks.

I look at the pile of fabric hanging on my door, "Oh, do I."

I decide to get ready in secret that way my mother can't intervene with the hair and makeup. I spend hardly any time on either. I'm not wearing any eye makeup and I curl my hair only slightly so it looks less lifeless. Without the ridiculous wedding dress, I look like I do any other day. I begrudgingly put the dress on and cringe the whole time. I walk over to the mirror and burst out laughing. I look like a giant white cupcake. I think about calling Mrs. Wells and filing a personal grievance.

I hoist the dress up and walk downstairs in black flats that don't match. My mother does a double-take as I come around the kitchen. Her face registers something from happy to confused to disgusted.