Chapter 4

The following morning, I pick a row all the way in the back of the bus and put my backpack down on the seat next to me. That way when Ross gets on, I'll invite him to come sit with me. Lucy, Emily and Tom are sitting where they always do. Tom shot me a condescending look when he got on the bus, daring me to try him. I wait anxiously for the bus to get to Ross' stop. When it does, I lean my head over the seat in front of me trying to get a full view. Three kids get on and the bus pulls away. I wait for the second kid to take a seat so I can get Ross' attention, but he's not there. I look around the bus to see if I missed him but he's nowhere to be found. I slump back in my chair, disappointed at the missed opportunity to redeem myself. I wonder if his parents decided to drive him to school after what happened yesterday.

The second day at yearbook is less structured. Everybody is broken into their groups and working on their assignments, while Mrs. Hinton works on her computer at the front of the class. The nervous kid from yesterday tells me he needs a computer to look up club schedules. The writers and editors have a complete monopoly over the computers in the classroom, and because there are so few, anyone else who needs one has to go to the library. The two senior girls who are taking day-to-day photos offer to escort him to the library. I assume it's so they can leave campus right after. I let them go, knowing I don't really need their help anyway. Juniper and I exchange schedules and spend time getting to know each other. I find out he's a junior who also wants to go to art school.

"Here's my portfolio," he unzips his backpack and takes out a fancy leather binder.

"Are those the Northern Lights?" I ask in disbelief. I've seen pictures of them but never with this little noise.

"Yeah it took me hours to get the right shot. I camped out the whole day adjusting my ISO settings. I still think I was a degree or two off," he frowns a little at the photo.

"No, this is amazing. I've always been too afraid to shoot in low light." I've never traveled outside of the Grove community. There's no reason my family can't take vacations outside the country or even the state, but we never do.

"Are you afraid of the dark or something?"

"No." I laugh, "My camera is just not as high quality as yours. That's why I borrow one from Mrs. Hinton."

We spend the rest of class looking over his portfolio and talking cameras. His artistic style is gothic and clean. His photos all have crisp colors and clear subjects. He tells me his dream is to go to art school in Chicago. I simply nod my head without saying a word. With people like him applying, I'm more certain than ever my chances are slim. The bell rings and this time it's Mrs. Hinton who asks to speak to me after class.

"Paisley, can I talk to you for a minute?"

I nod my head and walk over, a little worried. After our conversation yesterday I fear she may have changed her mind about my scheduling conflicts, or that Juniper showed her his portfolio and she's decided to make him lead photographer. I couldn't blame her.

"I reviewed the schedule you emailed me last night and there's one issue." My fears are slowly being realized. "The fundraising meetings you go to interfere with football practice and prom meetings."

I let out a sigh. It's not that I was extremely interested in attending either, but those are the two largest spreads in the yearbook. Not being able to photograph the meetings and practices means I'll barely have any photos in the yearbook. It also means I'll have less of a portfolio to show art schools.

"Do you think you can change your fundraising meeting days?" She asks hopefully.

Not a chance, I want to say. If I asked my mother to let me skip the fundraising club for yearbook, she would force me off yearbook completely. "It's really important to my mother."