Chapter 6

I spend the entire first period buzzing in my seat, anxious to talk to Mrs. Hinton. I printed out the two photos of Ross I took with some edits and securely placed them in a waterproof folder so they wouldn't get damaged. Juniper's been talking to me all class about his photos of the football team and prom committee. I occasionally nod my head, but I'm too excited to concentrate. After what seems like forever, Mrs. Hinton dismisses the class and I rush over to show her my portfolio.

"Wow Paisley. These are really good. I love the contrast of the background and the subject."

"Do you think it's good enough to submit to art school?" I ask nervously.

"I think you're definitely on the right track. These photos have more depth to them than your other ones. I would like to see some photos in all settings and backgrounds though. Make sure to showcase your diversity."

"How many photos should I take?"

"Well that's hard to say. Take as many as you need just make sure you're telling a cohesive story."

I nod my head in excitement and relief.

"Who is this anyway?"

"Somebody I just recently met."

"Well he seems to have inspired you, so keep using him." She winks at me, assuming some sort of romantic attachment. I just agree without correcting her.

There's certainly no romantic connection between us, but Ross has been the subject of two of my best photos. He seems to naturally stand out in pictures and draw the eye. I know very little about him which makes him the perfect subject for my project. The problem is, except for yesterday we've hardly spoken, and he rides the bus too inconsistently for me to talk to him there. I want to ask him if he'd be willing to be my subject but I worry he might say no. I can't afford to start the project over a third time and I have no one else to photograph.

I spend all of my classes before lunch trying to mentally put my portfolio together. I must appear distracted because Mr. Wynn singles me out in class to solve equations on the board. I struggle to get through them, and he takes the opportunity to stress the importance of preparedness. I think Mr. Wynn should thank me; without me he'd have no forum for life lessons.

At lunch Raven interrogates me about the design of my pageant dress. Loli tunes us both out after I give her the heads up about Mr. Wynn's pop quiz, and dutifully studies her differential equations.

"What color are you thinking?" Raven opens her sketchbook and stares at me intently.

"Red?"

"We should try to stick to your color wheel," she gives me a look as if that should have been obvious to me.

"My color what?"

"Your color wheel. Yours is mostly dark blues and purples. The closest I can get you to red is maroon. Your skin is too fair and your hair too dark."

She sounds like my mother. Maybe she would like Raven's design after all.

"What shape neckline? Sweetheart? A-line?"

Before I can breathe a response, Ross taps my shoulder from behind. "Can I join you?"

I stare back in surprise, "Sure."

Both Loli and Raven look at me, ceasing all previous activity.

"Hi, I'm Ross." He sticks out a hand to each of them. Both give a meek reply and stare at me; probably thinking what Mrs. Hinton was.

"Pleasure to meet you Ross," Raven says accentuating his name. I try to shake my head at her so she doesn't get the wrong impression.

"You too," he slowly replies. "You dropped this the other day." He hands me my house key which I hadn't even noticed I dropped. My mother was promptly waiting at the door for me when I got home.