09

A week had passed and Hana and Jeno's distant relationship had not changed

A week had passed and Hana and Jeno's distant relationship had not changed. The two were too busy occupied with their own duties and activities, unable to spare a word to one another.

It's not like they wanted to- for Hana, at least. Around the castle Jeno would subconsciously look for the girl, only to catch glimpse of her from time to time. He would try and visit her during training but Jaehyun would shoo him away. There were times where Jeno would stay up at night, hoping to run into her again but it never happened.

"There's a storm coming tonight."

Hana closed the gate, carrying a heavy saddle in her arms. "Yes, I know."

"Aren't you scared of them?"

She heaved the saddle onto a stand, closing her eyes as she sighed. "Yah, Jeong Jaehyun. Are you calling me a baby?!"

He threw his head back and laughed. "You were always scared when we were kids!"

She raised her arm up, playfully threatening to hit him. "Yes, when we were kids! You think I'm scared of a little thunder now?"

"Wah~ what would people think?" He threw his hands up dramatically. "The ruthless ice, cold Queen Hana, scared of thunder."

"I swear I will kill you."

"You love me too much for that."

Hana rolled her eyes and walked past him, Jaehyun immediately trailing behind. "You know, Jeno has been looking for you recently."

"Oh?"

"He comes by almost everyday during your training. I also heard some maids gossiping that he looks for you sometimes too."

The two walked into the castle. "Yes, I've seen him stop by a few times. I've been avoiding him, honestly. God, he's like a leech."

"Maybe he's having second guesses about his feelings?"

She stopped in her tracks and turned around. "Those only happen in books. And frankly, I am heading off to the library. I will see you tomorrow."

"Yah-"

Hana turned back around, cutting him off and heading towards the library.

...

Hana stood on her tiptoes, stretching her hand to grab a book off from the high shelf, failing after multiple tries. She heaved a sigh, sticking her hand up one more time.

From behind her, another hand grabbed the book she was trying to get and she turned around.

"Jeno?"

"I've finally caught you."

"Huh?"

He took a step closer. "Have you been avoiding me?"

"Uh..." Hana raised the book to her chest, taking a step back. She nervously laughed, "no, why would I need to avoid you?"

Jeno opened his mouth to respond but she cut him off. "I don't have time to care about another woman's man."

Hana walked off with her book, leaving Jeno stunned in his place. He blinked and immediately followed after her.

"Could you stop mentioning that?"

"Mentioning what?" She asked innocently.

He sighed. "About me... and your sister."

"Isn't it true?" Hana took another book off the shelf and examined the cover.

"Yes, but-"

"But what, Lee Jeno?!" She slammed the book back into place. Hana swore that this boy was testing her patience. "You and Haneul have made it perfectly clear that she is yours and you are hers. You constantly belittle me and talk about me behind my back. But all of a sudden you act as if that had never happened? That you and Haneul have never slept togeth-?"

Jeno cut off her ranting by pulling her aside and pushing her against a bookshelf, hand over her mouth as he looked to the side.

Hana escaped from his grasp. "Are you crazy?! What the hell-"

He snapped his head back to her, eyes locking with hers. "Be quiet or I'll make you."

Hana immediately shut her mouth. Jeno's body was lightly pressed against hers, his arms and hand pushing against the bookshelf behind her for support. Hana slowly trailed her eyes up from his chest, to his neck, and then to his gorgeously sculpted face.

She examined his face, her eyes subconsciously admiring every single detail. She felt her cheeks beginning to heat up and her heart beating as if it was about to jump right out of her chest. She silently gulped.

Jeno looked down at her, noticing that she had been staring at him. He gave a small smirk, making the Queen's stomach erupt into butterflies and she quickly looked away from his intense gaze. He quietly laughed, finding the other's actions adorable.

The two were so close together that all they could hear were each other's breathing, until-

"Jeno?"

Heels clicked and echoed throughout the library. Hana furrowed her brows and looked at Jeno confused, to which he mouthed back: "Haneul."

"Jeno? Are you here?" Haneul called.

"Why is she looking for you?" Hana whispered.

Jeno sighed and hung his head down before looking back up at her. "I've been avoiding her for the past few days. She's been... annoying. Who knew she would be so clingy."

Hana smiled in amusement at his words.

The two stood in silence, breathing in each other's scent as they heard Haneul's footsteps grow quieter and quieter until the sound of a door closing sounded. They both let out the breaths they didn't know they were holding.

Jeno looked down at the girl in front of her, eyes flickering from her eyes to her lips. Hana unintentionally mirrored him and her breath hitched as he leaned in closer.

Her heart pounded as the space between their lips grew smaller and smaller. And as the space between them was about to close, Hana turned her head to the side, shutting her eyes.
Jeno paused midway and smiled at her actions before planting a soft kiss on her cheek.

Hana opened her eyes to see Jeno walking away, hands behind his back. Her hand reached and touched the cheek where he had planted the kiss. Hana's cheeks burned from blushing so intently and her stomach was filled with butterflies.

She cursed to herself. "Lee Jeno, why are you making me feel like this?'