01

Kim Hana was 19 years old when she first met the 18 year old prince, Lee Jeno

Four years had gone by and they were finally meeting one another again- under official circumstances of course.

As Hana was now 23, her mother deemed that she was too old to be a spouseless princess; despite her being engaged to the young prince years ago.

Within those four years her father, the King, had passed away; taking a great toll on the Queen. Another reason why Hana's mother wanted the two to get married as soon as possible.

Hana was the eldest of two daughters, meaning that it was her duty to succeed to the throne as Queen of Venia.

...

"Ah, my Queen! It's lovely to see you after all these years."

"King Jiho, it is good to see both you and your son as well," Hana's mother said.

Hana sat beside her mother, looking at the father and son standing before them. Expressionless, she locked eyes with the Prince. He looked back at her as long as he could before tearing his eyes away, unable to hold his stance under her intimidating cold gaze.

"I am very sorry to hear about the King's passing," King Jiho said. "I do send my deepest condolences to you and your family."

The Queen nodded.

The older man coughed awkwardly. "And that is why we are here, correct? Shall we discuss this more privately, my Queen?"

Hana's mother nodded again. "Hana, why don't you and Prince Jeno run along and catch up with one another?"

"Yes mother," she said through gritted teeth. Hana got up from her seat, heading through the throne room's main doors with Jeno following behind her. They walked in silence, both their footsteps being heard by the other.

The pair went outside, fresh air entering their lungs as they breathed. Hana pursed her lips, avoiding the Prince's intense gaze.

"Princess Hana," he called.

The girl noted that his voice got much deeper than the first time they met.

She looked at him. "Prince Jeno."

"It's been a while since the last time we met."

Hana scoffed. "It's our second time meeting and we are already getting married."

The Prince smiled and looked back at the extravagant castle, eyes wandering as he secretly searched for something. Jeno turned his focus back on the Princess. "Aren't you excited?" He asked innocently.

Hana started walking. "Oh yes, very excited. And yet to think when I was a little girl I would have at least talked with the man before marrying him."

"We are talking."

"This is the first time we've ever held an actual conversation," the Princess deadpanned.

Jeno stifled a laugh, finding her personality entertaining. "How soon do you think the wedding is going to be?"

Hana admired his smile unknowingly, a smile spreading across her face as well. "A week from today?"

This time Jeno let out a small laugh. "Oh no, much sooner than that. My father cannot wait to get his hands on the gold that your parents are giving us."

The older girl scoffed, looking at the horses grazing in the fields. "What a way to remind me that my parents practically sold me off."

"You really could not get another prince to marry you, could you?" He said amusingly.

"Please don't remind me-"

"Prince Jeno!"

The two turned around at the sudden outburst, both eyes landing on a younger girl.

"Oh, um, Hana. I d-didn't know Prince Jeno was coming today," she stumbled over her words, her breath heavy as if she just ran from the castle.

"Haneul," Hana said calmly. "I'm sure you did not know about Prince Jeno's arrival at all today." She said sarcastically.

"Yes, well, um," she fumbled. "May I borrow him for a moment?"

Hana clenched her jaw, fighting the urge to say something back. She smiled sweetly. "But of course, dearest sister."

Her fake smile faded almost immediately and she looked away. "Take him."

Hana started walking in the opposite direction, heading to the stables as she heard her sister squeal a "thanks!" before latching her arms around Jeno's.

The older princess ignored the two. She knew that this was going to happen.