Chapter 16: Thinking Out Loud

Chapter 16

The three of them sit in an awkward silence, pretending to read the menu. Well, at least Nadine truly is. Cheryl and Kimberley know the menu by heart; this used to me their restaurant.

"Good afternoon Ladies."

"Hey" Nadine the only one that responds.

"What can I get you to drink?"

"I think we will just be having wa-"

"Passion fruit mojito" Cheryl and Kimberley blurt out in unison. They look at each other; and it almost feels like a stare contest. Nadine smiles to the water, and asks for a small bottle of water for herself.

"I'll be right back to take your order."

"Thank you." Nadine shifts her attention back to the menu, looking up every now and then to the both of them sitting across from her. There's one empty seat right beside her for Kimberley's friend.

"Do you want to check up on your friend Kimberley? We can wait for here till she gets here before we order."

Kimberley lifts her head to Nadine, smiling appreciatively.

"No it's ok; I know what she likes, we've been here together a few times before."

Something stings Cheryl when she heard that. It's our place, why would she say something like that. She presses on the menu firmly, which doesn't go unnoticed by the girl sitting beside her.

"So, who is your friend? Is she someone I know?" Cheryl couldn't help herself.

"No, but I'm sure you might've heard of her. Her name is -"

"I am so sorry I'm late!!" A younger girl walks towards them and puts down her handbag on the only empty seat on the table, not before greeting them. "Heya babe" she kisses Kimberley on her cheek and takes her seat.

"Cheryl, Nadine, this is -"

"Florence! But you can call me Florrie. Well this is a nice surprise! What Kimberley texted me saying some friends are joining, I didn't expect one of them to be Cheryl Tweedy! Especially with what happened between you two. Ouch!" Florrie earns a kick to her leg from Kimberley that is sitting in front of her, signaling her to not go there. "Oh, but I'm such a big fan! You're songs are amazing!!!"

Cheryl tries to smile. "Thank you, that's much appreciated it." Her tone of cut cold supremacy is evident, and kinds of kills the friendly vibe that was supposed to have formed. Kimberley managed to catch a much younger, and dare she say beautiful girl to be with. She was not supposed to start moving on just yet.

Nadine tries to clear the air. "Nice to meet you Florrie, I'm Nadine."

"Hi Nadine. Are you in the music business too?"

"Sort of, I work for a record label."

"You do?? Which one?"

"Coyle Records."

"Oh yeah, I think I've submitted one of my demos to them."

"So you're trying to be a singer?" Cheryl cuts in.

"Well I'm not trying anymore." She turns to Kimberley and places her hand on top of hers. "This one right here managed to get me signed, and she's producing my debut album! "

"Wow that's Fantastic, congratualtions. You're in safe hands then." Nadine beams to Florrie.

Cheryl eyes Kimberley. And for some reason, Kimberley started feeling self-conscience.

"That was part of the deal, for them agreeing to sign her." Kimberley felt the need to explain to Cheryl.

"Well that's pretty good Florrie, good luck." Nadine interrupts.

"How old are you?" Cheryl isn't holding back her tongue.

"26..." Florrie is now feeling uneasy. Why is she being questioned?

"And you just managed to catch your break? A bit too late don't you think?" Kimberley is looking gobsmacked by Cheryl's rudeness, Nadine finding herself becoming uncomfortable.

"Better late then never, right?" Florrie downs her drink, trying to cool herself off.

"How long have you known each other?" The question is now directed to Kimberley

"For quite some time.."

"It's so weird. I've known her for such a short amount of time, yet I feel like I know her so well." She's trying to hit a nerve with Cheryl; and succeeds. "She's such a caring, warm hearted person." She turns to look at Kimberley, and gives her a peck on her lips, which catches Kimberley off guard.

"There you go ladies.." The waiter starts placing their lunch. "Enjoy your meal."

They all mummer a thank you. Everyone was grateful for this intrusion, everyone except for Cheryl.

Florrie has more than just hit a nerve.

___________________

"Thank you for having lunch with us ladies; hope to see you again soon."

They wave off the waiter and head towards the exit. Both Cheryl and Kimberley giving their drivers a ring to come up front. They leave Nadine and Florrie to chat as they prepare for their departure. They both walk into a secluded area to get a better reception.

"Thank you Lee." Cheryl turns to walk back but is stopped by Kimberley.

"What the F*uck was that Cheryl."

"What was what?"

"You know what I'm talking about. You were so inappropriately rude to Florence. Completely unasked for. She wasn't anything but sweet."

"She doesn't deserve you.." She lets out in a low tone

"What.." Kimberley isnt sure of what she had just heard

"You can do so much better than her!" Cheryl lets out, surprising both herself and Kimberley.

"You do not get to say that Cheryl. You don't. I've been begging you, pleading with you to take me back. You have done nothing but slam the door across my face. So don't you dare say that I can do better, because you're the best I'll ever have, and it's not an option anymore."

She turns around about to walk away, then stops for a second. "And just for the record, we're not together yet. That's the first time she's ever kissed me. This was going to be our first date, and she just wanted to take the opportunity to piss you off for your amazing manners. Not that it's any of your concern anyway. " with that she leaves

Cheryl doesn't take too long to follow her out to the other two, and as she reaches, they are already saying their goodbyes to Nadine, and head out, completely ignoring Cheryl.