Undercover Lover

Gemma P.O.V

Another new islander? Already?

The new girl struts onto the terrace. Rachel is dressed in a neon orange two-piece, contrasting her long black hair, dark skin and gorgeous dark features. There's a natural confidence from just the way she walks.

I look up at Hugo. He doesn't seem interested at all - just a gentle smile as he hugs me into his side reassuringly. Brad, on the other hand, looks very satisfied. Rachel is his type. I know we aren't exclusive with one another and the days are still young, but it does spark kind of irritable feeling.

Rachel stands between Jake and Chuggs. She receives a text, pulls her phone from her pocket, and reads it aloud. "Rachel. In 24 hours, you will couple up with either Jake or Chuggs. The boy left single will be dumped from the island. #shakeitup #threeisacrowd."

Jake is my brother in here. I'd be devastated to see him leave. But Chuggs has only had 24 hours and hasn't had the chance to prove himself.

Rachel begins to introduce herself to everyone. She hugs the boys hello, and then makes her way around the girls.

"Lovely to meet you!" Rachel says energetically. "I'll come and chat with you girls in a bit? Jake just offered to help me unpack my things."

"Of course. Take your time and let me know if you need anything."

Jake's making moves already. He's keen.

"Do you wanna chat?" Brad taps my shoulder.

Brad and I head to the beanbags. He drags his beanbag next to me and falls down, sighing in the process. "Well, that sucked. I was looking forward to coupling with yas."

"I know. Why would Chloe choose you?"

"No idea. Everyone knows that I fancy you more than her. She hasn't spoken to me since the whole Faye thing." Brad sips at his water bottle. It's easy to tell that this recoupling has put him in a bad mood. "So, you're with Hugo."

"Yeah. Jake is like my brother and I haven't spoken to Chuggs."

"You think you'll crack on with him?"

"... I don't know. It would take a lot to turn my head from you but I know both of our options are still open. What about you? I saw you eyeing up Rachel."

"She's a stunner," Brad smirks. "I'm not shutting you out. You're still the girl I fancy the most. I'll see what she's about."

Brad reaches over and squeezes my hand. He places a soft peck on my skin, and then pulls me up from the beanbag and cuddles me.

When I'm scrubbing my teeth and brushing through the tangles in my hair, I hear gentle footsteps on the bathroom tiles.

"So," he starts. "We're coupled up."

"We are."

Hugo is wearing only his boxers. His body in the bathroom light looks even better than the natural daylight. He's caught a tan over the past couple of days and has some impressive tan lines to prove it.  "How are you feeling about sharing a bed? I don't snore, so you don't need to worry."

"I feel okay. I wasn't expecting the recoupling to go the way it did."

"I was sure Chloe would pick Chuggs," Hugo shrugs. "Are you okay being with me?"

"Of course," I reassure him. I walk up to Hugo and wrap my arms round his waist. He cuddles me into his chest and rests his chin on the top of my head. "I wouldn't have picked you otherwise."