Chapter 44 - The Elusive Truth

The day had gone by quickly and the kids were still in the shelter but winding down from their capture-the-flag marathon, reviewing the previous day’s heroics, and planning for the future. Cassie, Penny, and Gabe had spent a significant chunk of the day having ultra-serious discussions on just what their superhero outfits would look like.

It was late afternoon and Jay had asked Zach to pick up some ingredients from Madrona Dry Goods before dinner. For some reason Zach hadn’t bristled at the request.

They sat around a table set on the wood floor of the basketball court. Interrupting a momentary lull in the conversation, Zoe brought up a topic they’d discussed briefly before. “Where did Ollie get his powers? That thing he does where he froze us.”

“He didn’t just freeze us, he was able to move us.” Penny added.

“Telekinesis.” Zach said.

“Caleb said he only gave us powers.” Binny frowned.

“But?” Zach prodded his sister, her face making it clear she wasn’t sharing everything on her mind.

“But, I’m not sure he was telling the truth.” Binny said.

“He wouldn’t lie to us, would he?” Zoe said.

“I looked in his mind when he was talking. It was like the truth and the lie were mixed up together. I couldn’t tell what was what.” Binny said.

“I hate to say it as Caleb’s been so nice to us, but I’m starting to wonder if we can really trust Caleb.” Zach said.

“There are only two possibilities. Either Caleb gave Ollie his power, or there’s someone else who can give kids super powers.” Penny said.

“I’m tired. I think I’m gonna go home.” Cassie said.

“Just wait for us, we’ll go home together.” Binny said.

“I kind of want to walk on my own. I promise I’ll go straight home.” Cassie said earnestly.

Binny watched Cassie head for the exit before continuing the conversation, “I have a feeling that even if Caleb didn’t give Ollie his power, he knows who did. He’s not being honest with us.”

“And if he knew that Ollie had a power, and didn’t tell us, then…” Zoe said.

Zach finished her sentence, “…then Caleb sent us to find Ollie without warning us that Ollie had powers too.” Zach looked at the others before uttering his conclusion. “Caleb put us in danger.”

Privately Zach thought that it might not have been the first time Caleb had done something like that. Caleb had after all encouraged them to go to Luce Labs the previous summer. He may not have known that Dr. Trace was a threat, but he sent them there to investigate their powers knowing full well that he himself had given them these amazing skills. Zach wasn’t sure of the truth, but he was getting increasingly certain that he hadn’t heard it from Caleb.

“So children? How did it go?” Caleb’s deep voice rumbled through the shelter.

The children’s heads swiveled around, to see their visitor, surprised by his sudden entrance.

“We found Rembrandt.” Zach reported in a stony voice.

“That’s excellent news Mr. Jordan. Was it the pool or the library?” Caleb asked.

“Neither of those places. Ollie had him in an abandoned old mansion.” Zoe answered.

“Oh. But you still found him. Excellent work. Truly excellent teamwork.” Caleb said. “And your canine friend is undamaged I hope?”