Chapter 39 - The House in the Weeds

“That was the coolest thing I’ve ever seen.” Binny said. She moved her hands, mimicking Zoe’s descent from the branch.

The six children were walking towards the center of the neighborhood. The clouds overhead were hastening the darkness that normally wouldn’t have fallen over Madrona for another hour or two.

Zoe was giggling as she walked, not entirely sure how to respond.

“Can you do it again?” Gabe asked.

“I think so?” Zoe wasn’t entirely sure herself. 

As they walked, and after looking up and down the street to make sure they were alone, Zoe started to lift off the ground with each successive step, almost as if she was walking up an invisible staircase. Everyone else stayed firmly on the sidewalk. By the time she got to the third ‘step’ her balance was a little off and she started to wave her arms.

“Come down. Come down.” Binny urged.

Zoe regained her balance with her arms out like she was walking a balance beam and gently floated down to the sidewalk.

“That was much better than before.” Zach said smiling.

Zoe blushed.

“Flying is the absolute awesomest.” Penny gushed.

“You’re next you know.” Cassie said to Gabe who was still staring at his sister, amazed by her new ability.

“Who me?” Gabe said, bewildered.

Binny gave Cassie a look indicating that she shouldn’t promise things she couldn’t deliver.

Cassie responded as if Binny had made her comment aloud. “Oh, I’m sure of it.” And then to Gabe, “Yes, you. I’m not sure exactly when but it’s coming.”

“Maybe it will. Maybe it won’t. It’s pretty cool to hang out with superpowered kids. Nobody else gets to do that. So I’m already pretty lucky.”

Binny and Zoe looked at each other in surprise at Gabe’s mature outlook on the situation.

“That’s a very grown up attitude little brother.” Zoe patted her brother on the shoulder.

“Just promise you’ll give me a ride someday.” Gabe smiled at his big sister.

Zoe thought that it might be awhile before she could make sure she didn’t injure herself much less be responsible for someone else. And besides, she couldn’t lift Gabe on the ground. How would she lift him while flying? Zoe kept those thoughts to herself and just said, “Absolutely!”

After consulting the text he’d received earlier one last time, Zach suddenly said, “OK. We’re here.” The group came to an abrupt halt.

“Where is here?” Zoe said.

“I don’t see anything.” Gabe was looking at the line of tall shrubs that defined the property line. They were dense and in the spots where one could even see between them, a tall fence lay behind them.

“Let’s walk around the block. There’s bound to be a way in.”

“And you’re sure this is the place?” Zoe said.

Zach took out his phone. “The text just gave this address and said. ‘I believe you’ll find what you’re looking for there. Good luck.’”

“Did he mention why his security guard was still after us today?” Binny rolled her eyes.

“He did as a matter of fact.” Zach read a follow-on message from Luce that said he’d be meeting with Grater the next morning to make sure he left the kids alone.