Chapter 30 - The Isle of Man

“I really hardly even know what to say to you Zach.” Jay Jordan shook his head as he looked at his son across the kitchen table.

Zach stared ahead silently. He’d already apologized profusely and simply wasn’t sure what else he could say.

“Have you not been listening at all when I talked about using good judgment? Setting an example for your sisters? What exactly did you think was going to happen?”

“I called the police first, and reported it like you said.” Zach replied weakly.

“I didn’t tell you to call the police. I told you tell me and I would call the police if it made sense. Which as you can see, it most certainly did not.” Jay was on a roll now. Lecturing. Not really listening to his son.

Briefly pausing to take a breath, Jay heard the front door close and two pairs of feet walk into the house.

“Girls? Come here please.” No child in the world speaking any language would be confused at what Jay’s tone of voice meant.

Binny and Cassie presented themselves in the kitchen, stealing quick glances at their brother’s dry but puffy face.

Jay faced his daughters. “And what were you two thinking? Just because your brother is making terrible choices, doesn’t mean you get to go off the deep end with him.”

Zach spoke before either of his sisters could respond. “I told you Dad, they tried to convince me not to do it. It was my idea. They tried to stop me.”

Binny and Cassie looked at their feet and remained silent.

“I’m honestly not quite sure what to do with you guys. Thankfully that Officer Lawson was nice about it and decided to look the other way. Zach, if it weren’t for her, you could be in serious trouble.” Jay paused for a moment. “Or rather, you could be in more serious trouble than you already are.”

§

“We were thinking of all watching a movie together.” Serena said as she motioned to Penny with her eyes where to place the dinner dishes.

“Thank you so much for dinner Serena.” Jonathan said as he put some of the food away.

“Oh you don’t have to do that.” Serena said.

“Which movie?” Penny asked.

“Why don’t you pick one?” Quincy said.

“To go with whatever movie you pick, I have three words of advice for you.” Everyone looked in Jonathan’s direction. “Parmesan truffle popcorn.”

“Ooh.” Serena raised her eyebrows at the prospect of the snack. “How?”

“We got truffle oil at the market today. Drizzle it on the popcorn and then shave parmesan on top.” Jonathan instructed. “The only downside is that it will be gone long before the bad guy gets caught.” Jonathan smiled.

“You’re not staying for the movie?” Penny interrupted her internal movie musing and faced Jonathan.

“I was going to let you guys have some family time.” Jonathan said. “I know there are some bookstores I haven’t depleted, I mean explored yet. I’m really coming to love this city.”

Serena and Quincy froze watching the interaction between Jonathan and Penny.

“You can’t just suggest the movie snack and then not stay and eat it with us. You should watch the movie with us. And besides, this way, you can make the popcorn and make sure it comes out right.” Penny said as if the decision had been made.