Chapter 10 - The Fiftieth Digit

“Look, Mom, I made these.” Ollie announced to his mother.

Dr. Samantha Trace followed her son’s outstretched finger to a small sign that read Serenoa. On the sign was a hand-drawn spiky fan of a plant identical to the actual plants that sat above it. “Nicely done Ollie.”

“I’ve done lots of them.” The new signs stretched down the row they found themselves in. “We’re cataloging the whole greenhouse.”

Sam Trace had seen countless drawings done by her son. She didn’t usually give them more than a casual glance. But seeing Ollie so excited, she took a longer look than usual – something she hadn’t done in a long time. They were exceptionally well done. With only a black and white pen, Ollie had rendered unbelievably lifelike plants. The drawings were almost photographic. Bristling with life. For a moment, Dr. Trace was at a loss for words. “Ollie, These drawings, they’re – ”

“Very impressive, no?” The caretaker of the greenhouse finished her sentence. A big smile on his face, his hand ruffling Ollie’s hair in approval. 

“Why yes. It’s more art than science, but impressive nonetheless.” Dr. Trace made a thin smile.

“Oh, but I’m not so sure about the distinction you’re making. So much of science is keen observation and description, and isn’t that what young Ollie has done here with remarkable precision?”

Ollie’s smile widened briefly before he looked up at his mother, eyes expectant.

Dr. Trace paused, locking eyes with her son, and then said, “Why, yes. I suppose so. Keen observation and description are critical pieces of the scientist’s toolkit.”

Ollie allowed himself to smile more broadly.

“I think that’s enough for today though, no? It’s getting close to dinner time and you can do more tomorrow.”

Ollie looked back over his shoulder as he followed his mother out of the greenhouse only to see Xander, Ollie’s impromptu camp counselor with his characteristic big smile, waving goodbye.

As Dr. Trace and her son exited the humidity, the old man turned to examine Ollie’s handiwork. The man thought to himself that the drawing was even more impressive than when he’d seen it earlier in the morning when Ollie had drawn the Serenoa. The drawing looked like it was straining to get off the page and pop into existence.

His eyes drifting off the sign and onto one of the plants behind it, the man noticed something he hadn’t before. He said aloud – he had come into the habit of talking to himself since he spent so much time alone – “Why you’re looking a little unhealthy.”

The man rubbed one of the spiky leaves between his thumb and forefinger. It felt rough and it was pale in color relative to some of the other leaves on the plant. “Are you not getting enough water?”

The man pulled a small device out of his pocket, and tweaked the programming on the automated irrigation software that kept the plants in the greenhouse hydrated. With that done, he walked slowly down the aisle, admiring Ollie’s signs and the plants they referred to.

§

“Befuddled. Honestly, I am befuddled.”

“That’s a stupid word.” Zach informed his father.

“Stupid or not, it’s the right word. It means I am confused and unable to think clearly.”

“I know what it means.”

Jay Jordan ignored his son’s snarky response. “I simply don’t understand where all the food in this house goes. I know the three of you are growing, but this seems ridiculous.”