Chapter 25 - The Fixer

“I’m starving.” Penny said to nobody in particular as they all walked the long hallway out of the shelter towards the woods and back home for lunch.

“Special delivery.” Caleb announced as the kids poured out the big metal door buried behind decades of overgrowth in the heart of the Madrona woods.

“Caleb!” Cassie exclaimed.

“It’s addressed to you Mr. Jordan.” Caleb handed the package to Zach.

“What is it?” Zoe asked.

“If it’s what I ordered, it’s gonna keep us from getting in trouble with our parents while we’re down in the cave.” Zach smiled at Zoe.

Binny rolled her eyes.

As if on command, Zach’s phone buzzed. Zach looked at the screen and shook his head. “He wants me to pick up some groceries this afternoon on the way home.” Zach muttered as he responded affirmatively via text.

Zach looked up from his phone. “You guys go ahead. I’m gonna stay and get this set up.”

Cassie turned to Gabe and Zoe, “Want to come to our house for lunch? I bet my Dad will make peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Sometimes he lets me dip the sandwich in Nutella between bites.”

“Can we go? Can we go?” Gabe turned to Zoe.

Zoe thought for a moment. “Do you guys promise to come right back here?” Turning to Binny? “Would you mind if I stayed and helped Zach? I’m not that hungry.”

Binny glanced back and forth at Zoe and Zach. “Yeah, okay. No problem.”

§

“I’m hooooome.” Penny yelled as the front door clattered behind her. “What’s for lunch?”

Serena raised her eyebrows at Quincy at their daughter’s noisy return. “Hi Pen.” They said as they peered through the kitchen door to welcome her.

“We’re making salad and salmon.” Serena added.

“Where’s Jonathan?” Penny asked.

“He ran out to the bookstore.” Quincy said.

“Oh. Well, I’d like to talk to the both of you actually.” Penny said.

The seriousness of Penny’s tone got her parents’ attention. Serena and Quincy sat down at the kitchen table and gave her their full attention. 

“Here we are.” Quincy said in a soft voice.

Penny sat down opposite her parents, seemingly bursting with energy, and took stock of her parents before she started talking quickly.

“Thanks for sitting with me. I know that our family has been broken for a long time now. Dad, with you living far away, and me and Mom living up here. And I also know that this isn’t your fault."

Penny’s parents exchanged glances.

“Mom, I know that over this past year I’ve broken a lot of things. And I’m really really sorry about that.” Penny looked to her father briefly, “I’ve been really clumsy.” And then readdressing both of them, “But that’s over now. Well, maybe not quite over. I still might break things. But I can fix things too. I can fix things!”

Penny leaned back with her arms crossed as if she’d made her case.

“Of course you can honey. Everybody breaks things. And of course you can fix things.” Serena said, somewhat confused at the direction the conversation had taken.

Quincy raised his finger, his mouth open, a worried look on his face, but said nothing.

“No Mom. Don’t you see. I can fix things. I broke this, and I can fix it.” Penny responded to her mother.