The Change in Plans

Deep underground in the never used and now forgotten Sick’s Stadium train station, a woman sat dressed in rags with her knees huddled up to her chest. Her orange eyes were closed but she was watching six children rescue a large dog from a seventh child.

While it wasn’t always recognizable as such because she had exactly zero teeth left in her head, she was smiling.

§

In almost exactly the very same spot, just several stories directly above the old woman, another person was smiling. Much like he’d done almost exactly a year earlier, Xander Luce sat in his private office watching the video over and over. The wireless video system he’d asked Grater to install in the abandoned mansions’ basement had performed exactly as he’d hoped.

In fact, just about everything had gone exactly as he’d hoped. There was the question of the small boy breaking through the wall, but Xander would think about that another time. Watching Ollie develop his abilities with that dog was fodder enough, but seeing Ollie’s telekinesis manifest itself as well, and with such power and precision, was positively delightful.

He had wrestled with how to win the confidence of the youngest Jordan girl, but it appeared he wouldn’t have to worry about that after all. She seemed like a sub-par specimen anyway. It wasn’t clear that she could even control her powers. But Ollie, Ollie was another matter entirely.

The boy was discovering his true strength with each passing day and taking to the task like an honors student. Now all that was left was for Xander to finish becoming the teacher who would help Ollie on his journey. But that was a task for tomorrow. For now, it was getting late, and Xander Luce needed to sleep.

§

“Sir, you wanted to see me?” Gore Grater said as he walked into the greenhouse.

It was early in the day after the events at the abandoned Madrona mansion, and Seattle’s gorgeous summer weather had reasserted its command over the city.

“Gore? It’s Xander, please.” Xander Luce gently chided.

“Yes. Of course. Sorry Xander.”

“I’m sorry to ask you to come in extra early this morning. I know you’ve been working many extra hours and I’m grateful.”

“And I promise you, I will achieve our goal. I just need some more time. I’m very close.” Grater sputtered.

“Oh Gore, you’ve done more than that. You’ve accomplished your goal. Because of your hard work, I’ve gotten everything I need. I think we can now safely return you to work that’s more suited to your talents, and not rely on you to go traipsing after children in the neighborhood.” Luce said.

“You have everything you need?” Grater was confused.

“Those cameras you installed were very revealing.” Luce explained.

“Oh.” Gore thought for a moment. “I’d love to see the footage. Understand what we’re dealing with here. You know.”

“I understand your curiosity, and no doubt there will be a time for that. But for now, if you don’t mind, I think we need to compartmentalize the information for security purposes.” Luce said firmly.

“Oh. Of course. Compartmentalization. I completely understand.” Grater stood up a little straighter.

“And Gore, I hope it’s okay, but given your accomplishments, I’ve asked Human Resources to elevate your pay. I realize that money is not what motivates a man like yourself, but I hope you’ll allow an old man his quirks. Old habits die hard as they say.” Luce smiled.