Chapter 42 - The Secrets That Bind

“Everything?” Gabe looked disappointed.

“Everything.” Zach said.

“Not even my incredible super strength?” Gabe flexed his bicep.

“Especially that.” Zoe added. “And don’t go doing anything crazy either. You still don’t know how to even turn it on.”

Gabe made a face but acquiesced.

“Do you think he can make it? Binny stood in the middle of the wild greenery that had so effectively hidden the cellar doors. 

“I think so.” Penny was breathing hard trying to gently lift Rembrandt in the right direction. 

“Come on. You can do it.” Cassie said encouragingly as she patted Rembrandt’s head.

“Are you talking to him or to me?” Penny asked.

“Both I guess?” Cassie giggled.

Rembrandt looked like he’d been woken up from a nap that he had preferred to continue.

“We can’t talk about any of this. Not even about Ollie.” Zach said.

“What?” Zoe turned on Zach. “Why not?”

“Because, if we explain what Ollie did, then we have to explain to our parents that we went running around an abandoned rotting house. Once they’ve grounded us for that, they’ll make us explain how we got into said house. I don’t know about your parents, but with mine, it won’t end until they’ve gotten us to admit that we have powers and have gotten personal tours of our hideout.” Zach said. “And also, everyone, wipe as much of the dust off your clothes as you can.”

“So he’s just gonna get away with it?” Binny joined Zoe in her indignation.

“What would happen to him anyway? I mean really? His mother seems to be able to deflect anything. The only people that would get in trouble are us. And besides, I don’t think Ollie will be kidnapping any more animals.” Zach asserted.

“And why is that?” Zoe asked.

“Well, while I’m pretty sure Dr. Trace won’t let him get into any trouble, that doesn’t mean she won’t keep a much closer eye on him. I saw how she was looking at him and Rembrandt. She knew something was up.” Zach continued, “Second, I think he got what he wanted.”

“What does that mean?” Binny said.

Zach squeezed Cassie’s arm as he spoke. “It means that while we were all going to use our powers to stop him, Cassie used her powers of persuasion. I think he did this to prove something, to himself, or maybe even to Cassie. And I think he did that.”

“Caleb said that kids who hurt animals grow up to hurt people.” Penny said solemnly.

“I know. I think we have some time on that though. Let’s deal with one thing at a time.”

“There’s something we haven’t discussed.” Binny said. “Ollie has a power.”

“Yeah, that didn’t feel good.” Zach said.

“No kidding. He did it to me twice.” Zoe said.

“Caleb told us he only gave powers to us.” Anger crept into Binny’s voice. “Where did Ollie get his?”

“I think he’s waking up.” Cassie said nuzzling Rembrandt as he walked next to them.

“Yeah, he is looking perkier.” Binny added. “His nose is wet again.”

Zoe smiled at Rembrandt’s progress and turned back to Zach. “So what are we gonna tell them?”

“I’ll think of something.” Zach flashed a smile.