She's A Rose

The male receptionist stiffened when he noticed the CEO's direct line on his caller ID. Mr. Shields had never bothered to call him before. It was always his secretary who did that job.

"My wife will be coming over," was the clear and concise information. "Send her up directly."

It really sounded like a command. Like, 'roll a red carpet or else!' In the employee's nervousness and confusion, he stammered, "But how would I recognize her, Sir?" He didn't even know that the boss had a wife.

"Easy," the boss answered. "She's a princess." The line went dead.

The receptionist looked at the handset. He then noticed in his disorientation that he had been standing throughout the brief conversation. He looked around to see if anyone had noticed. He took a deep breath and sighed. Only the guy at the elevator doors seemed to be frowning at him. Maybe nobody had noticed his foolishness.

He replaced the handset on the cradle. He sat down and put a hand over his beating heart. What the heck did the boss mean? A princess? A literal princess? The type that looked down on her subjects like they were insects? Or the type that would converse with a peasant and marry one if she fell in love with him?

Ah, he really should stop reading his sister's trashy novels. It was just so hard when his sister's a romance writer and she wanted his views all the time on how the hero or another male character should act (or say something) on this or that occasion.

Also, wasn't there something going on between the boss and his secretary? It was always the deal. Everybody in the office noticed how the raven-haired beauty was available to the boss and the boss only. Miss Farley didn't have eyes for anybody else.

The number of calls that came after that buzz from the big boss set the employee's heart and head at rest. He soon forgot that he would be meeting a princess.

He was arrested when a young woman in a flowing dress asked for Mr. Shields's floor.

For the first time in his life, he wanted to curse the man who indirectly pays his monthly bills. Lucky bastard! Darien Shields absolutely robbed the cradle!

He had never seen a more exquisite...

He was positive the boss might just kill him if he continued that line of thought.

"Yes, ma'am?" He was glad of his cultured voice.

"I'm here to see Mr. Shields."

He observed that she gave him a slight bow. He wasn't sure if it was more of a nod. And that hair... like spun gold...

"May I have your name, please?" Not Shields. Any name but that..., he silently prayed.

"Serena. Serena Shields," she stated, crushing his hope.

"I take it you're Mrs. Shields?" Well, she could be his sister, right? There is that doctor. There is hope after all...

"Ah... yes. Do I need an ID or something?"

All hopes crushed beneath his grounded feet...

She was helplessly fishing for some form of identification inside her bag.

The boss would have his hide. There is no doubt on that score now if this princess stayed here one minute more.

"No, ma'am. Definitely not. Mr. Shields described you perfectly."

A princess. That's exactly what Serena Shields is, he thought as he watched the elevator doors closing on her.