Still Say Yes to You

Darien considered sending a driver, instead of coming for her. Knowing Serena, she could be having second thoughts right this very moment, refuse his offer altogether and never look back.

So here he was.

He had knocked, thinking that she was waiting on the other side of the door, ready to tell him that she had changed her mind and that she was not coming home with him. She didn't know that he had acquired a new place. But there was no answer. So he tried the doorbell. Still, there was no reply.

Could she still be at the hospital? He was sure she used their landline. She made it a point never to call him on his cellphone. And he made it a point not to change his number.

Could it be that deep inside he was waiting for her to contact him?

He took the house keys from his right pocket and used one to open the main door. Luckily, it was not double-locked. He didn't know why her disregard for her safety and security quite angered him.

Once inside, his gaze was fixed to the master bedroom, which had been Serena's suite since her mother died. It was the only room in the house that had an en suite bathroom and he wanted his daughter to have it, James said.

"Serena?" he called out. No answer still. He knocked on the door to the master bedroom.

A familiar kind of fear assaulted him. It was no different from the helplessness he felt when Amy informed him, when she was able to contact him, that Serena had a miscarriage not long after Raye called to say that his wife had an abortion.

He had opened the bedroom door before he could think twice about it.

He hated the thoughts that ran through his mind, the nervousness that gripped him, making him literally tremble. Especially, when he heard the running water in the bathroom, remembering Amy's words that she found Serena on the bathroom floor, unconscious.

The mental image seemed to have been etched in his memory, as if he'd actually seen her in that state.

When they were still together, he'd loved sharing showers with her, watching her sleep, eat, laugh... Since they were separated, that sorry memory from Amy's account was foremost in his head.

"Serena!" He knocked on the bathroom door hard. Even his voice was gruff.

Her knees were shaking when she heard the loud knocks on the bathroom door. Was she imagining Darien calling her name from the other side? She turned the knob of the shower to turn the water off, pulled a fresh towel from the rack and wrapped it around herself, and opened the door to make sure that she was not dreaming.

Her eyes widened when she saw Darien standing right before her.

"What are you doing here? How did you get in?" Her knees wobbled, and she had to put a hand on the door frame while her left hand was clutching the ends of the towel on her chest.

And Darien was looking at it, before he raised his blue, blue orbs to her face.

"Have you no sense? You're cold! How long have you been in the shower?" He totally disregarded her questions.

"How did you get in?" She walked past him and moved to the other side of the room. The towel was short and a little thin from constant use. It only covered an inch or two below her buttocks, and she hated that he noticed it.

He went inside the bathroom and procured another towel. It was thicker and longer. She wasn't able to get it because it was in the bottom of the pile, and he wanted to get out at once.

He threw it on the bed when he stepped out of the bathroom. "Use that!" he ordered.

"When you get out!" she snapped back.