The (Marriage) Singer

Serena had just finished tending the garden when she felt a presence observing her from not far away. She tilted her head and adjusted her straw hat to discover who the intruder was. She couldn't have been more surprised.

"Seiya!" She dropped the gardening tool and stood up at once. She walked up to the gate and opened it for him. "I... come in." She had no idea he was going to visit her.

"I was going to announce my presence but I thought the suddenly visible wood nymph would be disturbed." He smiled, letting Serena know that the wood nymph he referred to was none other than her.

"You should have noticed that the wood nymph was wearing an ordinary housecoat, and there was nothing fairy-like about her appearance." She had long removed the hat and her long tresses now hang tenderly on her back, delicate tendrils framing her face.

"Well, she certainly looks more beautiful than any fairy on my picture books."

Serena smilingly shook her head, would have said that he's too old for picture books if only his gaze wasn't so intense. She felt herself blushing under his eyes.

"'Know what they say? Flattery will get you nowhere." She led him to the house.

"Not even breakfast?"

"Maybe," she answered jovially. She missed his friendship. "Do come into the kitchen. Excuse me while I dress properly. It won't take a minute."

"Reena?"

She turned to look at him, now seated behind the kitchen counter. "Yes?"

"I was only being honest. You look enticingly lovely."

"Okay. Breakfast it is." She turned on her heels to change, noting the soft laughter of his that followed her.

A moment later, Serena was placing pancakes on Seiya's platter, serving him green tea instead of coffee.

"I hope it wasn't much of an inconvenience," he said.

"What?" She looked up from pouring maple syrup on her pancakes.

"My visiting you so early."

"Oh, that's all right. I'm usually up before dawn. Dad's an early riser." They had talked a little about his and her circumstances a while ago.

"I hope he gets better."

"Yeah. You, too." Serena forced a mouthful of her food. She rarely had an appetite these days. She was going to ask Ami about Seiya's condition but decided against it. Seeing Ami was like being close to Darien again and she doubted if she would ever be ready for that.

"I can't get you off my mind, Princess," Seiya suddenly confessed.

"Seiya—"

He held her hand. "Listen, maybe I was wrong before for not letting you know how much I really cared about you. But I do, Reena, you must have felt it. That night at the concert has given me so much hope. I'm going to get well and I want to take my chances with you."

Serena didn't remove her hand from his grasp but did not return his hold either.

"I'd like for you to get better. I know frustrating it is to fight an illness. I see my Dad doing it every day. I'm happy that you've found hope to live. There's so much for you to live but—"

"My life has always included you," he interrupted.

"You're making it hard for me to explain." She took her hand away from his and folded them together on her lap, avoiding his eyes.

"I guess it was easier when you decided to marry Darien Lawson," he resignedly said.

Serena remembered it too well. Yes, it was all too easy. She felt so carefree then, so full of life, love. Literally, she just took the plunge.

"It was a mistake," she admitted, trying not to remember the pain. Somehow, in the deepest recesses of her heart, she wondered if she really regretted marrying Darien. The most romantic poet in literature did say that it's better to have loved and lost... "And I won't make the same mistake twice." She sipped her coffee, liking its bittersweet taste and rich aroma. She carefully set down the cup.

"If so, would you consider marrying me?"

He completely misunderstood her! "Seiya—"

"If time is what you need, I'm giving it to you. In the meantime, I'll consider Ami's suggestion and see this doctor in Germany. I love you, Reena. But it wouldn't be fair if I leave you so soon after you've just learned to love me too. I promise to get better. For you. I'll take care of you, Princess. I hope you'll let me."

The seriousness of Seiya's words stayed with Serena all day. She never thought that his feeling for her ran so deep. They were friends! Only friends. And now he was offering marriage while she was still wed to Darien. She believed that Seiya could make any woman happy just by being married to him. But after her disastrous relationship with Darien, Serena was not sure she could put herself through marriage again.