The Other Woman

"How long have you known Darien?" Rei asked.

Serena managed a smile and found it not an effort to remember the dates. "We've been married for about three months now, so that would make it four... more or less."

Rei didn't smile back. "Do you know that he would have married me if it wasn't for his father's debt?"

She turned to face her from pouring the coffee on the cups. She carefully replaced the coffee pot on the table. "No. I wasn't aware that his father was indebted to our family in any way. We could not compare with them in terms of wealth, you know."

"Yes, I know." She sounded so cool. "But it's not about money I'm talking about."

She wondered if Darien personally told Rei about this.

At the moment she could only ignore the numbness that seemed to have covered her heart. She didn't even have the strength to feel hurt. He had to marry me...

She tried to hide her uneasiness by a small, unsure laugh. "That being said, I still hope we could be friends. You see "

"It's you who don't. And how could I be friends with the woman who stole my only chance at happiness?"

Lita chose that time to make an appearance.

"Really, Reena, what's taking you two so long? The men are getting impatient out there for their coffee. I'm really at a loss now how you convinced me to consider you as my assistant." Lita's brown curls were glowing. There was a content expression on her face that made Serena want to sigh. It must be her old friend Ken.

She gave Lita a mocking expression. "I create the best designs for your cakes and flowers, that's why."

"Uh-huh. Not to mention the time I waste explaining to boys four years old and above that you are already married."

"You are exaggerating. Come on, why don't you serve us tonight? After all, I'm a very bad waitress, am I not?"

"Beats me why all that grace lacks coordination."

"Thank you." She handed Lita the tray. "Their coffee is getting cold."

They laughed as the taller woman moved to get out of the kitchen. "Miss Farley," Serena turned to the striking lady behind her, "thank you for talking to me." She had a feeling that the smile she wore was the last she could bestow for the beautiful Rei.