The First Time I Loved Forever

Darien had made up his mind. He would stay at James' party long enough to tell his father's friend that ACE, Inc. would give all the support that Discs, Ltd. needed in order to get back to its feet again. He did not even consider it an act of charity. Darien knew that it was what his grandfather, the chairman of ACE, Inc., wanted. It wasn't a test of goodwill. Grandfather Shields knew without a doubt that Darien would not let him down.

Because he wasn't planning on staying, Darien had a chauffeur with him. He told the old man to park where it's convenient and wait for his call. He reminded the chauffeur to bring his own cell with him should the latter feel the need to wander a bit.

Upon entering the Portmans' residence, Darien was surprised by the cozy feeling that greeted him. The house was almost...welcoming. He actually expected the party to be boring and cold, something short of lifeless. He was never one to enjoy such festivities.

He had just stepped onto the threshold. It was then that he saw her. Her soft, greyish-blue dress clung to her womanly curves yet it spoke of an innocence which only managed to draw him closer to her. From where he was standing, he only had a glimpse of her profile. Her hair of pale sunlight was flowing in loose tendrils down to her waist. She was smiling at the tall, fair-haired man who was clasping her wrist-a picture of romance-and suddenly, Darien felt the surge of a very unfamiliar feeling, something which he did not even want to acknowledge.

He saw her try to loosen the handsome man's hold on her hand. She must have said something sweet to him although her smile was reserved. Darien experienced a sense of self-satisfaction at the sight that made him want to analyze his feelings. Because when it came to women, he did not usually care.

And he knew that his eyes still remained dark glints of blue ice, except for that fleeting moment. Andrew's constant 'poker face' insult for him came to mind.

But right now his eyes, however unreadable, continued to follow her as she ascended the stairs.

Who is she, he asked himself.

It just never would do to ask anyone. His gait was swift as he walked in her trail. He was sure he took the steps two at a time.

Who are you? He wanted to be there, silkily appearing beside her, asking her... anything. He was still smarting that this slip of a girl made him act like a fifteen-year-old, stirring up his most basic senses in her simple evening gown and modestly displayed shoulder.

She could not be as angelic and as innocent as she looked, he thought. She could be a socialite... like most of the women who cared for these do's. He's deluding himself. After all, she looked like royalty. She might not even know how to boil water to keep herself warm. But he would not be deterred...

What was it about her? What was happening to him? More so, what was she doing to him?

He stopped walking at once. He was just a few steps behind her. They were alone in the balcony. Or at least that was how he felt--like it was just the two of them. He saw her place her champagne flute on the marble pane atop the balustrade before her.

He would ask her and leave. Or should he leave now? But the decision was taken out of his control. Fate. Because it was then that she turned around and faced him. He thought he saw a similar emotion in her sapphire blue eyes, something akin to the one he recognized earlier.

But he didn't believe in destiny, did he? Did she?

"Are you even real?" He seemed to be asking himself. He must be sounding like an idiot.

"Well, if you are, then I guess I have to be, too," she whispered almost breathlessly.

She smiled up at him and suddenly he didn't care if he appeared foolish.