Kids at Heart

"What don't you like about my office?" Darien asked.

"Isn't it obvious?" She looked away. She smelled Rei's perfume on his bed. Yeah, maybe that wasn't obvious.

"Look at me," he ordered. "What is obvious?" She still refused to look at him. "I said look at me."

She did. "Darien, I never expected fidelity from you—"

"Hold it right there if you don't want to see me really angry." He got to his feet. They were in his 'office bedroom'.

Serena shut her mouth and swallowed the rest of what she was going to say. She had the grace to bow her head and apologize.

"I'm sorry."

"Re-touch your lipstick. We're dining out."

Rei was still in the reception hall when they went out of Darien's main office. The woman was busy with something on her computer but turned it off when she noticed that they were ready to leave.

"Mrs. Lawson?"

Serena was surprised that Rei acknowledged her presence after ignoring her all day long. She turned to face the secretary from Darien's hold that was guiding her to the automatic sliding doors.

"Do you mind if I ask for a lift to town?"

"No. Not at all. Do we wait for you here or at the car park?"

"Follow us to the car park when you're done here," Darien clipped before Raye could answer. He was tolerating her because she was Amy's friend, but even he had his limits.

He tightly held Serena's wrist and pulled her toward the nearest elevator.

Serena used her thumb to press the down button and the circle around the arrow turned green.

"I thought you don't like Raye," Darien began.

"She asked me nicely. Second, it's not my car."

"Of course it's your car, too. We're married."

"Don't make me laugh," she said, really piqued. "Third, if you didn't like the arrangement, you would have said no, right?"

"I don't know how to deal with you." He frowned and Serena caught the expression on his face. He rarely showed emotion. She thought this time he looked quite boyish. It reminded her of the early days of their marriage. "If it would make you happy, I could always tell Raye to take a hike."

"Don't bother. You're making me angry." Too late. She knew he caught the sparkle of a smile in her eyes, even if she did manage to look away. "Would you like to get something from the convenience store?"

"Why would I want to ruin my dinner?" Darien. She pursed her lips as if saying, suit yourself. "What are you going to buy?"

"Something."

He laughed. "I guess I'm paying for it, huh?"

"Get in the car." Darien's voice was almost... tender. It was as if he'd totally forgot about their argument earlier. Like he'd forgiven her accusation of him having another woman.

He opened the door for her and walked toward the driver's side. He noticed Raye approaching and motioned for the woman to get in the back seat.

Darien was already in the driver's seat before Raye could reach the car.

"You should have at least waited until she's inside the car," Serena taunted, certain that Raye couldn't hear them.

"She's rich in her own right. The company pays her well. Heck, she has her own car. She can even make use of one of the company cars and/or drivers."