Repeat (Like a Love Song)

Serena could not believe it when the lady assigned at the information booth told her that her father was transfered to a private room. The woman added that her husband, Darien Lawson, made the arrangements. Only the room, however. There was no mention of their hospital bills.

Serena realized she needed money. If she had only accepted Darien's offer...

She disregarded the thought as soon as it entered her mind. He was not serious! And she certainly couldn't consider being his wife again under those terms.

She sat in one of the blue chairs in the lobby of the hospital. There were people rushing about, but Serena was too absorbed in her own thoughts to notice them.

She slowly turned her head when someone sat beside her and held her hand. It was Molly. She was with her husband Marvin who remained standing beside her best friend.

"I'm glad you're here," Serena said. "You really didn't have to."

Molly shook her head and smiled. 'How's your dad?'

'He's sleeping now.' She didn't mention that he was transferred to a private room to avoid questions like how she was able to afford it or who paid for what. And she didn't want to burden them with her problems.

'Have you had dinner? Let's go to the cafeteria. I'm sure there's food there even if it's hospital food,' Molly suggested.

"Better than nothing and coffee from the vending machine,' Marvin seconded.

The couple tried to lighten Serena's mood while they were eating, but she couldn't help the anxiety from showing on her face.

'Dad's thinking of selling the house. I don't think it would be fair to Sammy," she said.

Molly touched Serena's hand and pressed it. 'I'm sure he'll support you if it's your decision, too.' She looked at her husband, who was in real estate.

'It may take time,' Marvin said quietly.

Molly glared at him. "We can lend you the money."

She shook her head. 'I can't let you do that.. Don't worry. I'll find some other way to raise the money.'

"What other way?" Molly asked rhetorically.

"Let's leave before they tell us that they're closing," Serena said, and rose from her chair. Molly looked like she was about to cry. "Molly, what's with that face?' she teased.

'But what are you going to do?' Molly remained seated. "And besides, this canteen is open 24/7." She looked at the sign on the door.

"I know. I was just joking." She couldn't tell her friend about the solution in her head. One, it involved Darien. Two, she wasn't ready for a tirade from Molly. "Marvin, will you pick up your wife from that chair?"

Marvin smiled sheepishly and scratched the back of his head. "Up's a daisy..."

Molly rolled her eyes. 'Let's go check on your dad before we go home," she said. "Oh, would you like us to drive you?"

"It's all right. I drove here, brought some of dad's things. And I'll stay awhile so you two go ahead.'

After seeing that her dad was sound asleep, Molly and Marvin said their goodbyes to her.

Serena made sure that the hospital had her cell phone number in case she was needed during the night.

She walked out to where her car was parked.

When she got home, she removed her coat and placed it on the stand. Unslipping her bag from her shoulder, she sat down on the sofa and decided against calling Darien using her cell phone.

She had to call him now. It was only past seven. He was still in the office. Her hand was shaking as she picked up the receiver. She dialed Darien's office number.

She almost replaced it on the cradle when Raye Farley answered the phone. But she strengthened her resolve. "May I speak with Darien?"

"Who should I say is calling?' Raye asked coldly.

Surely she can tell it's me... "It's... personal,' she replied.

She sensed Raye's hesitation.

"I'll see if he is available.'

"Darien here.' Her heart thudded painfully against her ribcage at the sound of his voice. 'Hello?' Darien repeated when Serena failed to reply.

'It's Serena,' she said quietly.

This time, there was silence on his end of the line. She was afraid he had broken off the connection. No dial tone still...

'Yes?' he asked curtly.

'I... I wanted to discuss something with you,' Serena stammered.

There was another pause. 'I'll meet you in twenty minutes.'

'It could wait. I'll see you tomorrow.'

'Tonight,' he said firmly. Then he hung up.

She tried to call him back in his cell phone, but he wasn't picking up. Something told her that he was doing it deliberately. Darien knew her too well, and he wasn't going to give her the opportunity to back out.

She could imagine his satisfaction that she almost begged to see him, after throwing his offer back in his face.

She had better change to something more poised if she were to meet him tonight. Knowing Darien, he would be there on time. Well, let him wait. She needed a shower to clear her head.