Chapter Two

Allison

"What did you say?" Maya asked me.
"My Dad's name is Lane Bishop." I repeated.
She looked back at Andy, and looked at me.

"Allison, what's your Dad's birthday?"
"November 26, 1965."

She pulled her phone out, and searched for a few seconds.
"Honey, is this your Dad?" She showed me a picture of him.
I nodded, tears running down my face.

"Okay, um... you stay right here. I'll be- I'll be right back." She got up, and walked out of the room.

Maya

Andy shut the door and turned to me.
"That girls your sister?" Andy whispered to me.
"It looks like it." I sighed and ran my hand through my hair.
"Did you even know you had another sibling?"
"No! My Dad left like, ten years ago after my mom died. I was sixteen. He must've been cheating on her with Allison's mom."
"What are you gonna do Maya?" Andy asked.

"I can't let her go back to him. I won't. I don't know what I'm gonna do, but she's not going back there."
"What, are you gonna let her live with you?" Andy asked, half jokingly.

I stayed silent, and stared at her.
"You're really thinking about it aren't you? What will Carina think?" She asked.
"I don't know. I just know she loves me. I'll talk to her about it tonight. I'll take Allison home with me, after I explain this situation." I sighed and walked back into the room.

Allison

"Please don't make me go back to my Dad. He'll kill me." I said hurriedly as she walked in.
"Sweetie, I won't let you go back. I'll do everything I can to stop that. But you and I need to have a talk." She sat down next to me.

"Your Dad... is my Dad." She said carefully.
"What?"
"My name is Maya Bishop. Lane Bishop is my Dad. He left me ten years ago when I was sixteen, after my mom died."
"You... I have a sister?" I asked.
"Looks like it kid. I didn't know about you. I haven't heard from Lane in ten years. If I would have known, I would've never let you stay there with him." She said.

"This is just a lot to process." I muttered.
"I know. It is for me too. Uh... do you wanna come home with me tonight?"
"Really? You'd do that? You don't even know me Maya." I said, looking up at her for the first time. We really do look a lot alike.

"Of course. You're my sister. And... I'd like to get to know you."
"Um... okay. Yeah. If you're one hundred percent sure." I said standing up.
"Of course I am. Let's go grab your bag. I have a phone call to make real quick."

We walked out of the room, and back to where the fire truck was.
"Go grab your bag sweetie. I just have to call my girlfriend." She pulled her phone out and dialed a number.

I nodded, and walked over to the engine and grabbed my bag.
"Allison! How are you feeling sweetheart?" Andy asked.
"I'm okay, I guess. I have a sister so..." I trailed off.
"Maya's a good person. She's like a sister to me. She's shocked too. But I have a feeling you two will be best friends before long." She said squeezing my shoulder.

"You ready kid?" Maya asked as she walked up.
"Yes ma'am."
"No need to call me ma'am. You're my sister." She joked.

*At Maya's house*

"My girlfriend is excited to have you at our house. And I am too. I know she's gonna have a lot of questions. But only answer them if you're comfortable." She said as we walked up to the house.
"Yes ma'am- Maya."

She unlocked the door, and we walked inside.
"Bambina? Is that you?" I heard a woman say. She had an Italian accent.
"Yes Carina! We're both here." She grabbed my suitcase from me, and set it by the laundry room.

A beautiful tan woman, with brown hair came walking quickly into the living room.
"Ah! Ciao Bambina!" She walked over and gave me a hug.
I tensed up, and winced from the way she was touching my bruises.
"I'm sorry, too much?" She asked as she pulled back.
"I'm sorry." I quickly said.

"You have nothing to be sorry for kid. Come on, sit down. I want Carina to look at those bruises." Maya took my hand and led me to the couch.

"Can I look at your bruises bambina? I'm a doctor." Carina asked.
I nodded and she started to inspect my face.

"Allison? Can I ask what he did?" Maya asked softly.
"He-He was hitting my Mom. I tried to pull him off, and he pushed me down and kept hitting her. He always gets like that when he's drunk. I stood up and told him I was gay so that maybe he'd stop hitting her. I just wanted him to stop hurting her. She's a terrible person, but nobody deserves to get hit." I said, more tears rolling down my face.
"It's okay, it's okay. I'm not gonna let him hurt you again. We won't let him hurt you again." Maya reached over and grabbed my hand.

"Are there any more bruises bella?" Carina asked.
I nodded, and lifted up my shirt. Exposing the bruises and scars that he'd left.

"It doesn't look like anything is broken. But I'd like to take you to the hospital with me tomorrow and get checked out."
I nodded, and leaned back into the couch.

"Do you wanna take a shower? I'll order us some pizza." Maya offered.
"Please. If you two don't care."

"Of course we don't care bambina. I'll show you where everything is." Carina stood up and led me to the bathroom.

Maya

I sighed, and put my head in my hands.
"Everything will be okay Maya." I felt Carina start rubbing my shoulders.
"I have a sister Carina. And my Dad has been abusing her for God knows how long."
"I know bella. I know. But there was nothing you could do. You didn't know."
"I should've known. I should've been there."

"Look at me bambina. You're here now. You're helping her now. That's all you can do." Carina said, forcing me to look at her.
"Thank you for letting me bring her home. I know this is a lot for you to take in." I sighed.

"She's your family. So, she's my family. She can stay here as long as she needs." She leaned down and gave me a soft kiss.

Allison

I pulled on the clothes that Andy had given me, and walked back out into the living room.
"Ciao bambina. Did you have a nice shower?" Carina asked.
"Sì. Grazie per avermi permesso di stare qui stasera." (Yes. Thank you for letting me stay here tonight.)
"Ah! Parli italiano?" She asked with a huge smile.
"Yes. I've been taking extra classes for two years in school. Italian was one of my choices."
"That's exciting. Where do you go to school?"
"Summit. I skipped a grade, so I'm in high school."
"That's really good kid, you should be proud of yourself." Maya said with a smile.
"Thank you."

"Do you have any clothes to wear tomorrow?" Carina asked.
"Um... all my clothes are dirty. Mom doesn't let me do laundry..." I said embarrassed.
"I'll wash them for you bambina. Don't you worry about that." Carina got up, and walked to the laundry room.

"You know, you can stay here as long as you want Allison." Maya told me.
"I don't want to be a burden." I said quickly.
"You're not a burden. You're my sister. You're my family."

"Thank you." I said, tears threatening to fall.