Chapter Eleven

Allison
*One year later*

"Allison, wake up kid!" I heard Maya say.
"Ugh what time is it." I looked at the clock.
"Seven. Happy birthday!" Maya jumped on my bed.
"Oof! Maya!" I laughed.
"Come on. Carina is waiting to go to work." She drug me out of bed.

"Good morning farfalla! Happy birthday!" Carina said as she gave me a hug.
"Grazie Carina."

"You ready for your test today?" Maya asked.
"So ready." I poured a cup of coffee.
"Oh Allison? Will you go get something out of the car please?" Maya handed me the car keys.
"What am I looking for?" I asked as I walked to the door.
"It's got a bow on it. You'll see it." Carina said.

I walked outside, and I saw a black Kia Soul sitting in the driveway with a red bow on top.

"Guys? Why is there a car in the driveway." I asked.
"Happy birthday bambina." Carina said with a smile.
"Shut up! No freaking way! You guys didn't!" I said excitedly.
"Yes we did. Go check it out!" Maya and Carina followed me out of the house.

"Oh my God! Thank you! Thank you!" I ran over and hugged them both.
"You have to keep your grades up when school starts again. You gotta keep it clean, and pay for the gas. We'll pay for the insurance until you're out of the fire academy, but when you start working you have to pay it." Maya said.
"Thank you so much! I'll keep my grades up and do everything! Thank you!"

"You're so welcome kid. You deserve it. Now c'mon, let's go take your test so you can start driving this thing."

*At the station*

"Can you believe it Maya? I freaking passed!" I said excitedly as we walked in.
"I knew you would kid." She ruffled my hair.
"There's my girl! Happy birthday mija!" Andy gave me a hug.
"Thank you Tia. I passed my permit test!"
"That's awesome! I knew you would."
"And Maya and Carina bought me a car for my birthday!"
"No way! Show me!"

The alarms went off.
"Station 19. Fire at 2319 Terrance road."

I felt my heart drop to my stomach.
"That's Page's address." I said.
"Come on team! Let's go!" Maya and Andy ran to the garage.

"Maya! That's Page's address! You have to let me come!" I shouted.
"You can't ride on the rig kid, I'm sorry. Stay here!" Maya said as she got her gear on.
"Screw that!" I turned and ran out the door.

I heard the truck's sirens wailing as they sped past me. I needed to get to her house. I picked up the pace, running as fast as I can.
Ten minuets later, I stopped in front of her house. Fire and smoke was billowing out of every window and door.

"Page!" I screamed.
"Allison! You need to stay back." Jack tried to usher me behind the yellow tape.
"Fuck that! That's my girlfriend's house!" I shoved past him.

"Allison! Stay back!" He shouted at me.

"Captain! We can't find anyone!" I heard Ben say over Jack's radio.
"She's home! I know she's here! Her location says she's here!" I shouted at Jack.

"Warren! You and Montgomery need to get out! The roof is gonna collapse!" I heard Maya say.
"No! They need to find her!"

Ben and Travis ran out of the house, carrying Page's mom.
"Mrs. Wilson!" I ran over to her on the ground.
"A-Allison. Page is still in there." She coughed out.
"Maya! You have to get her out!" I shouted at my sister.
"Allison! It's too dangerous! The roof is going to collapse!"

I got up, and started running towards the house.
"Allison!"

I pulled my shirt over my face, and ran into the house.
"Page!" I called out.
I ran upstairs and into her room.

I felt her door, and it wasn't too hot. I kicked the door down, and I saw her laying in her bed.
"Page! I'm here baby!" I shouted as I ran over.

I grabbed one of her shirts, and put it over her face.
I picked her up, and maneuvered my way back downstairs.
"Fuck!" I yelled as I got hit by the fire. That was definitely going to leave a scar.

I ran outside, coughing as the fresh air hit my lungs.

"Allison!" Maya and Andy ran over to me.
Andy took Page from my arms, as Maya led me over to the Aid Car.

"What the hell were you thinking!" Maya shouted.
"I was thinking my girlfriend was trapped in there and you guys weren't helping her!" I shouted through the oxygen mask.
"You can't just run into a burning building! You are a child!"
"I'm not your child! Quit acting like you're my fucking mom!" I yelled back at her.

"Maya. Go over there." Andy said as she walked up.

Maya stormed off to the other side of the truck.
"How is Page?" I asked quietly.
"She's okay. She inhaled a lot of smoke, but I think she's going to be fine. You did a good job."
"But?"
"But Maya's right. You can't run into a burning building. Maya had a plan. She just needed time to execute it."
"She wasn't going fast enough. Page would have died!"
"And you could have died by running in there. Do you know how much it would've killed us all if you had died in there? Do you know how much it would've killed Maya and Carina?"
"She treats me like a child."

"You are a child mija. You're sixteen. Maya loves you very much. She'd do anything for you. Carina too. Please don't take this out on them."
"I'll try." I muttered.
"Let me take a look at this burn mija."

I pulled my shirt off, and she checked on the burn.
"You really should have Maya check this out."
"Okay." I nodded.

"Maya! Check this out!" Andy shouted.
Maya walked over, her eyes were red like she was crying.

"This doesn't look too bad. We'll just wrap it up and have Carina look at it later." She said bluntly.
"Maya-"
"Allison I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you. I know you were worried. But you can't just disobey Captain's orders run into a burning building." She sat down next to me.
"I know, I know. I'm sorry. I was just scared." I felt a tear running down my face.
"What you did was very brave. But very stupid. If you want to be on 19 in a few years, then you have to follow my orders. Even if I'm your sister."
"I'm sorry about yelling at you. I'm sorry I said you're not my Mom. You and Carina have been more my parents than my Mom and Dad have ever been." I laid my head on her shoulder.

"It's okay kid. I know you didn't mean it."
"I love you Maya."
"I love you too Allison."