- Chapter 38 -

The next day came around, and Corpse reached along the bed. He sighed in a nuisance when he didn't feel Sykkuno by his side. After standing up, he walked out of the house where Sykkuno was walking back with a bucket of water. Corpse went out and grabbed the pot into his hands. "Oh, thanks!" Sykkuno yelped. Corpse nodded and placed the bucket by the fire. "Are you hungry?" Corpse asked. "A little, but I have some berries, so we should be fine."

Sykkuno took notice of Corpse's lazy state and smirked. "You know, I can just take care of the water, and you can nap a bit more."

Corpse shook his head, "No, m' not tired."

"Yes, you are. We're going to be walking for a while, so get some more sleep."

Corpse sighs in defeat when he looks at the herbalist's face. "If you insist." he chuckles and walks back inside.

After breakfast, the lovers harnessed their cloaks and walked with bags in hand; towards the forest.

"Thomas?"

"Yeah?"

"Have you ever considered staying here?"

Thomas scoffed playfully. "Nope, not once."

"It wouldn't be so bad."

They stop in their tracks and turn to look at each other. "How so?" Thomas wondered. "It's peaceful here. We don't have to deal with Anchors, and we could always patch up the house. I'll go hunting every day and make sure to bring back something, and I promise you we'll be safe-"

"Cadáver. We need to help them."

"I know. I'm just afraid something immoral might happen to you if you're too involved."

Thomas raised an eyebrow and deadpanned. "I'm already involved, deeply. We got exiled! I can't get out of this even if I wanted to."

Cadáver stifled back a cry.

"Okay, but promise you'll let me protect you."

Thomas smiled and stood up on his tiptoes to plant a kiss on Cadáver's lips.

"Sure, promise."

◈◈◈

Rae had participated in a trial to become a knight for the royal guard. She found herself successful after showing her skills in combat.

But she didn't come here to beat up boys while sparring. Rae came for Ludwig. The Head Guard had announced everyone would be taking shifts, patrolling the outside of the castle, inside, and keeping watch of prisoners.

The plan was, Yvonne and Edison would be posing to deliver herbs through the west wing entrance since the prison was nearby. Plenty of guards would be there both inside and out. The two would cause a distraction while Rae gets Ludwig out.

When the time finally came, Rae was in this prison, pacing between the cells. She soon found Ludwig, almost beaten to a pulp, slumped against the wall. Rae shuttered at this sight. Another guard was patrolling with her, and being unable to communicate with Ludwig, she kept her mouth shut.

Minutes pass, and Rae listens to faint noises. They were here. She couldn't hear what they were saying, but soon she heard yelling. It was Edison. One of the guards burst into the prison and brought out the other guard to escort Edison out. The man had always mentioned his ability to feign being crazy and could hold up quite a hassle.

Rae watched as the other guard left the room and grabbed the keys to the cell, resting on a windowsill. She rushed over to Ludwig, and the herbalist looked up.

"Alright, Ludwig, time to get you out of here."

◈◈◈

Everyone grouped back at The Pharmacy. Yvonne was at the counter, working as a cover, while the others hid in the testing room. Leslie was there, and so was Toast. Beside them, a new person stood.

Rae sat Ludwig down on a chair and commanded the others to bring medication to tend to his wounds. Edison stood by Ludwig, comforting him.

"So," Rae starts. "What are we doing?"

Toast props his feet up on a table. "Ambrose and Offpire are going to travel to a middle point. It's there where they will have a battle, confirmed by Rae."

"We all go to the middle point ahead of time and wait."

"Okay, then what?" Leslie asked.

"We betray," Toast announced. "While Rae goes in with the cavalry, me, Leslie and Edison, act as healers. When a knight needs medical attention, we inject a bottle of poison rather than a prescription."

"What about me?" the newcomer asks. "Ah, Poki right. You and Yvonne need to keep a lookout and evacuate the townspeople if Offpire somehow becomes the battlefield. We can't let others be caught in the crossfire."

Poki nods and grabs a spyglass before going to meet Yvonne in the other room.

Rae sighs and slumps into a chair. "How you doing, Ludwig?" she calls out. Ludwig doesn't raise his head. Instead, he raises his hand and gives her a thumbs up.

The group sits in silence, listening to the sound of their breaths for possibly the last time.

It was true. The chances of survival were low. There were more Anchors in the knights that Rae would lead on the arena, but they held little protection. That protection wouldn't stop them from ending up dead.

"Do you think Sykkuno would be trying to cheer us up in this situation?" Rae thought aloud.

Toast shrugged. "I don't know. The King announced that Sykkuno and Corpse were executed."

"I'm still not so sure about that. The King seems like the type to humiliate someone publicly before killing them."

"What if they're not dead?" Edison suggested.

"We searched every nook and cranny of that castle and found no hiding spots." Toast boomed. "We need to get over it." Rae felt her heartbreak when she heard a frail voice crack in his voice.

Without saying a thing, the four of them pack up their items prepared to leave. "Hopefully, when we die, it'll be in a cool way," Rae said. Leslie giggled sadly, "Hopefully, we don't die at all."

They opened the door to where Yvonne and Poki were helping customers. Yvonne finished up with the last client and dropped her head onto the counter, and groaned. "Well, good luck," Poki said.

As they were bidding goodbye, two figures walked into the pharmacy. "Welcome! Do either of you two have a prescription?" Yvonne greeted.

The two held hands as they removed their hoods.

Sykkuno and Corpse are alive.

"Could I get some tea?" Sykkuno wondered.

◈◈◈

Guys. We're nearing the end. O_O

Thank you all so much for reading through this, I know the story was rather slow-paced, but it's something that I've realized I need to improve on! :)

In the future, I will make more stories with romance as a sub-genre since I enjoy writing things like that. But of course, right after this story is finished, I'll create something with romance as the main plot.

quesTIONAAsdsda: what are some talents you have?

have a good morning, afternoon or night!

-fai

p.s my neighbours are very loud